Beatrice, Countess of Montfort
Beatrice de Montfort, Countess of Montfort-l'Amaury (c. December 1248/1249 – 9 March 1312) was a ruling sovereign countess of Montfort from 1249 until 1312. She was also countess of Dreux by marriage to Robert IV of Dreux, Count of Dreux. She was the ancestor of the Dukes of Brittany from the House of Montfort-Dreux which derived its name from her title.
|Beatrice de Montfort|
|suo jure Countess of Montfort-l'Amaury|
Countess of Dreux
Countess of Braine
|Died||9 March 1312|
|Noble family||House of Montfort|
|Spouse(s)||Robert IV of Dreux, Count of Dreux, Braine and Montfort-l'Amaury|
|Father||Jean I de Montfort, Count of Dreux|
|Mother||Jeanne, Dame de Chateaudun|
In 1251, Jeanne married her second husband, Jean de Brienne, Grand Butler of France. Jeanne and Jean had a daughter Blanche de Brienne, Baroness Tingry (1252–1302); Blanche married William II de Fiennes, Baron of Tingry. Jeanne died sometime after 1252, leaving her Beatrice and her half-sister Blanche as her co-heiresses.
Beatrice was married to Robert IV of Dreux, Count of Dreux, Braine and Montfort-l'Amaury in 1260, when she was about eleven years old. He was the son of John I of Dreux, Count of Dreux and Braine, and Marie de Bourbon. As was the custom for female rulers at this point in time, he became the co-ruler of Beatrice and Count of Montfort by right of his wife after their wedding.
- Marie of Dreux (1261/62–1276), in 1275 married Mathieu de Montmorency.
- Yolande de Dreux (1263–1323), Countess of Montfort
- John II of Dreux (1265–1309)
- Joan of Dreux, Countess of Braine, married firstly Jean IV de Roucy, and secondly John of Bar.
- Beatrice of Dreux, Abbess of Pont-Royal (1270–1328)
- Robert of Dreux, seigneur of Chateau-du-Loire.
|Ancestors of Beatrice, Countess of Montfort|
- Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, p.155
- Charles Cawley "Medieval Lands"
- Douglas Richardson, Kimball G. Everingham, and David Faris, Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, Royal Ancestry series, p. 155, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, Maryland, 2004
- Charles Cawley Medieval Lands
Beatrice, Countess of MontfortBorn: 1248 Died: 1312
| Countess of Montfort
with Robert (1260–1282)