Bear Creek Lake State Park
Bear Creek Lake State Park is a 326-acre (132 ha) state park located in Cumberland, Virginia, United States. It is a recreational and camping facility that surrounds an artificial 40-acre (16 ha) lake situated in the 16,000-acre (6,500 ha) Cumberland State Forest.
|Bear Creek Lake State Park|
Bear Creek Lake
Location of Bear Creek Lake State Park
Bear Creek Lake State Park (the United States)
|Location||22 Bear Creek Lake Rd., near Cumberland, VA|
|Area||329 acres (133 ha)|
|Governing body||Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation|
Bear Creek Lake State Park
The Lakeside Shelter, a contributing structure to the historic district
|NRHP reference #||12000904|
|Added to NRHP||October 31, 2012|
|Designated VLR||September 18, 2008|
Bear Creek Lake was built by members of the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1938 as a project of the Virginia Department of Agriculture through the State Forestry Division. The lake was built using labor from local carpenters, farmers and un-skilled laborers seeking jobs. In addition to the lake, two pavilions, a concession stand and six fireplaces were constructed. In 1940, the area opened as a forestry wayside with boat rentals and swimming. In 1958, the area was given to the Division of State Parks and was operated as a day-use recreation area. In 1962 the division added campgrounds and the area's name was changed to Bear Creek Lake State Park.
The park features a 40-acre (16 ha) lake with a boat launch, fishing pier, boat rentals and a swimming beach. Visitors will also find a meeting facility, cabins, camping, picnicking, an archery range and playgrounds. Guests also enjoy the park's nine trails and access to the adjoining 16,000-acre (6,500 ha) Cumberland State Forest, including the 14-mile (23 km) Cumberland Multi-use Trail. This trail is available for hiking, biking and horseback riding.
- "Bear Creek Lake State Park".
- "Weekly list of actions taken on properties: 10/29/12 through 11/2/12". National Park Service. November 9, 2012. Retrieved November 13, 2012.
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Archived from the original on 2013-09-21. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "Bear Creek Lake State Park". Virginia Outdoors. Imperial Multimedia. Archived from the original on 31 March 2016. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "Bear Creek Lake State Park". Virginia State Parks. Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
Media related to Bear Creek Lake State Park at Wikimedia Commons
- Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation: Bear Creek Lake State Park
- Interactive Virtual Tour