Battle of Fallujah (2014)
The Fall of Fallujah (2014) also known as Battle of Fallujah (2014) was a battle that took place from late 2013 to early 2014, in which ISIL and other Sunni insurgents captured the city of Fallujah. It was one of the first Iraqi cities to fall out of the control of the Iraqi Government, and resulted in the Anbar Campaign.
On 2 January 2014, Al-Qaeda seized control of parts of the town, as well as nearby Ramadi. After the army withdrew from the area ISIS fighters and its allies entered both cities. Many videos showed ISIS forces clashing with police forces, and ISIS attacks and seizures on the main police station. 100 inmates were freed, weapons and ammunition were seized, and most police forces abandoned their posts.
On January 3, the town was reportedly under the control of Sunni Rebels, but Iraq said the city remained contested. The rebels set police vehicles ablaze and brandished their weapons. The rebels raised their flag in Fallujah, took over all police stations, and military posts after security forces left the city.
Most recently, on January 4, the town was taken by Sunni Rebels and Al-Qaeda fighters. The Iraqi army shelled the city with mortars in an attempt to wrestle back the town, but resulted in the deaths of 8 people and wounded 30. 60% of the town was reported to be under rebel control. Much later, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki vowed to eliminate "all terrorist groups" in a statement on national television. The police chief of the Anbar said that Iraqi forces were in control of the outskirts of Fallujah, but the city itself was held by ISIS and its allies. Sunni tribesmen refused to let Iraqi forces into the city, but held negotiations with them. Iraqi forces proceeded to shell the city from a nearby military base, before eventually withdrawing.
Four months later, the Iraqi Civil War began. Two years later, Iraqi Government recaptured the city.
- "Fighting erupts as Iraq police break up Sunni protest camp". Reuters. December 30, 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- "Al Qaeda seizes partial control of 2 cities in western Iraq". Long War Journal. January 2, 2014. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- "Al Qaeda-linked forces capture town of Fallujah in Iraq". NBC News. 3 January 2014. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- "Iraqi Army Shells Fallujah In Fight Against Al-Qaeda Rebels". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. 4 January 2014. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- "Iraq government loses control of Fallujah". Al-Jazeera. January 4, 2014. Retrieved 11 December 2014.