|Coordinates: 32°00′33″N 85°18′40″W|
|Elevation||269 ft (82 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||156034|
Batesville was named after the plantation of William Michael Bates, who moved to the area from South Carolina in 1845. A post office operated under the name Batesville from 1854 to 1942.
Fort Browder, a small wooden fort, was built near Batesville to use as protection during the Creek War of 1836. Company D of the 15th Regiment Alabama Infantry was organized here and known as the "Fort Browder Roughs."
- "Batesville". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Foscue, Virginia (1989). Place Names in Alabama. Tuscaloosa: The University of Alabama Press. p. 13. ISBN 0-8173-0410-X.
- "Barbour County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- "Fort Browder/15th Alabama Infantry". The Historical Marker Database. Retrieved 7 November 2019.