A general view of Bassoles-Aulers
|Coordinates: 49°31′37″N 3°22′56″E|
|Intercommunality||Picardie des Châteaux|
|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Isabelle Herbulot|
|7.03 km2 (2.71 sq mi)|
|• Density||21/km2 (55/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||80–200 m (260–660 ft) |
(avg. 100 m or 330 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Bassoles-Aulers is located some 18 km south-east of Chauny and 15 km east by south-east of Laon. Access to the commune is by road D532 which runs off the D5 in a loop through the commune and the village then back to the D5 near Quincy-Basse. The D13 road also forms part of the northern border of the commune and links to two country roads leading to the commune and the village. The commune is heavily forested in the north, east, and south with areas of farmland in the centre and west of the village. There are three hamlets in the commune apart from the village: Le Fau, Les Berceaux, and Marimont.
The Ru de Basse rises south of the village and flows south to join the Canal of Oise and Aisne.
The church was rebuilt after the First World War by André Perrin.
(Not all data is known)
Sites and monuments
The Church contains two items that are registered as historical objects:
- A Baptismal font (12th century)
- A Bronze Bell (1630)
Notable People linked to the commune
- André Perrin (1881-1969): Chevalier (1915) then Officer (1936) of the National Order of the Legion of Honour. Officer of the Academy. Croix de Guerre, Croix des Services Militaires Volontaires, and Chevalier in the Ordre du Mérite militaire (National Order of Military Merit) (1961). Architect who built the school and rebuilt the church after the War of 1914-1918.
- Bassoles-Aulers on the old IGN website (in French)
- 40000 Bell Towers website (in French)
- Bassoles-Aulers on Lion1906
- Bassoles-Aulers on Google Maps
- Bassoles-Aulers on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Aulers Bassole on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Bassoles-Aulers on the INSEE website (in French)
- INSEE (in French)
Notes and references
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bassoles-Aulers.|