Basilisk (web browser)
Basilisk running on Windows 10
|Initial release||November 17, 2017|
|Stable release(s) [±]|
|2019.10.31 (31 October 2019) [±]|
|Operating system||Windows 7 or later, Linux (unofficial build for macOS)|
For add-ons, Basilisk has roughly similar support as Pale Moon for XUL/XPCOM extensions and NPAPI plugins, all of which are no longer supported in Firefox. Basilisk also had experimental support for current Firefox WebExtensions, but this was removed in February 2019.
|2017-11-12||First public version.|
|2017-11-30||Several security and bug fixes.
Accessibility and Parental Control features were enabled.
|2017-12-03||A Linux only version.|
|2017-12-28||Toolkit Error Console was restored and enabled.
Disabled certain Mozilla services.
Enabled the use of Firefox Sync.
|2018-01-05||Disable automatic form filling of login credentials.
Several security and bug fixes.
|2018-02-02||Mitigated Meltdown/Spectre hazards.|
|2018-02-14||Removed B2G and Rust code.
Several security and bug fixes.
|2018-04-24||First version of Basilisk based on UXP (take 2)|
|2018-04-26||Fixed regressions brought as a result of the new base.
Disabled TLS 1.3 support because of instability problems.
|2018-04-27||Security and bug fixes.|
|2018-05-15||Security and bug fixes.|
|2018-06-01||Security and bug fixes.|
|2018-07-18||Security and bug fixes.|
|2018-09-05||Enabled TLS 1.3 support.|
|2018-09-27||Security and bug fixes.|
|2018-11-04||AV1 support for WebM videos introduced.|
|2018-11-07||Fixed a regression.|
|2018-12-18||AV1 support for MP4 containers introduced.
Removed support for VR hardware and Firefox Sync.
The default sync client now uses Pale Moon Sync.
|2019-02-11||Removed WebExtension support.
Improved spec compliance.
|2019-03-08||Security and bug fixes.|
|2019-03-27||Security and bug fixes.|
|2019-06-08||Removed all Firefox Accounts code and replaced the Sync client for compatibility.
Removed unused code.
|2019-09-03||Added support for gzip-compressed SVG-in-OpenType fonts.
Added support for Matroska media containers and AAC audio.
|2019-09-12||Security and bug fixes.|
- M.C. Straver. "About Moonchild Productions".
- "Basilisk: release notes". Basilisk. 31 October 2019. Retrieved 16 December 2019.
- "Basilisk on Mac OSX?".
- "Pale Moon team releases first version of Basilisk browser". ghacks.net. 2017-11-17. Retrieved 2017-11-20.
- "Pale Moon staff releases first model of Basilisk browser". Tech News Port. 2017-11-17. Archived from the original on 2017-12-21.
- M.C. Straver. "Basilisk: requirements". www.basilisk-browser.org. Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- M.C. Straver. "Basilisk web browser". basilisk-browser.org. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- M.C. Straver (2018-04-20). "Basilisk's nature (a small clarification)".
- "There is only XUL". Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- M.C. Straver. "Basilisk features". www.basilisk-browser.org. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- Note that technical differences between Basilisk and Pale Moon, such as the respective user interfaces, can result in specific extensions not working exactly the same in both. These details are outside the scope of this article.
- "Basilisk update 2019.02.11". Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- "Add support for Widevine 4.9 & 4.10". GitHub. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- "webrtc and telemetry". Retrieved 12 February 2019.