Baron Wake of Liddell
He campaigned in Gascony between 1288 and 1297. He campaigned against the Scots between 1297-1300. To this he was appointed Joint Captain of March of Scotland in Cumberland and Westmoreland in 1297. He fought at the Battle of Falkirk (1298).
He was married Joan de Fenes by 24 September 1291. She was allegedly daughter of Sir John FitzBernard, of Kingsdown, Kent or William de Fenes/Fiennes, a Spanish Count, and Blanche de Brienne, Dame de La Loupelande. Joan de Fiennes was possibly a relative of Edward I. She died just prior to 26 October 1309.
The family claimed descent from Hereward the Wake's daughter by his second wife, Alftruda.
Barons Wake of Liddell (1295)
- John Wake, 1st Baron Wake of Liddell (1268 – c. 4/10/1300).
- Thomas Wake, 2nd Baron Wake of Liddell (1297–1349)
- Margaret Wake, 3rd Baroness Wake of Liddell (c. 1300–1349)
- John, 4th Baron Wake of Liddell and 3rd Earl of Kent (1330–1352)
- Joan, 5th Baroness Wake of Liddell and Countess of Kent (1328–1385)
- Thomas Holland, 6th Baron Wake of Liddell and 2nd Earl of Kent (1350–1397)
- Thomas Holland, 7th Baron Wake of Liddell, 3rd Earl of Kent, and 1st Duke of Surrey (1374–1400)
- Edmund Holland, 8th Baron Wake of Liddell and 4th Earl of Kent (1384–1408)
- G. E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume IX, page 281.
- Charles Mosley (2003). Burke's Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage: 107th Edition. Wilmington, Delaware: Boydell & Brewer Inc. p. 4023. ISBN 978-0-9711966-2-9.
- See King, E. "The Origins of the Wake Family: the early history of the barony of Bourne in Lincolnshire." Northamptonshire Past and Present; 5 (1973–77), pp. 166–76.
- see note [S3945] Peter Llewelyn, "re: Mansel Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger LUNDY (101053), 31 August 2009. "
- Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 3, page 4023.