Barnes & Thornburg
|No. of offices||14|
|No. of attorneys||approximately 600|
|Major practice areas||Full service law, Lobbying|
|Key people||Robert Grand, firm managing partner|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
It is currently the second largest law firm in the state of Indiana, and 90th largest in the United States.
The firm was founded in 1982 as a merger of two Indiana-based firms: the Indianapolis-based Barnes, Hickam, Pantzer & Boyd (founded in 1940) and the South Bend-based Thornburg, McGill, Deahl, Harman, Carey & Murray (founded in 1926). Since 2009, Barnes & Thornburg has opened offices in Dallas, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Minneapolis, and Columbus. In 2015, the National Law Journal ranked Barnes & Thornburg as the 78th largest law firm in the United States. In 2015, the American Lawyer released its AmLaw 100 rankings, and Barnes & Thornburg was listed at No. 90. In April 2019, a ground breaking ceremony took place for the firms new office building in South Bend, Indiana. Local leaders attended including Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Philip Faccenda Jr, Managing Partner of Barnes and Thornburg LLP and representatives from Bald Mountain and Great Lakes Capital. The 5-story mixed-use building designed by KTGY Architecture will be called The Barnes and Thornburg building and consist of 32,839 square feet of office space and 6,720 square feet of retail and restaurant space on the ground floor. It is the first commercial development to break ground in the downtown business core in the last 20 years. The firm will remain in the 1st Source Bank Center until summer 2021.
Barnes & Thornburg has practice areas in healthcare law, environmental law, and construction law, and some niche specialties such as aviation law. By expanding through mergers, they have acquired practice groups from other firms in the fields of labor and employment, intellectual property, and estate planning.
- Indianapolis. "Robert Grand firm bio". Btlaw.com. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- "Lexis-Nexis Martindale-Hubbell profile". Martindale.com. Archived from the original on 2011-08-11. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- The American Lawyer, 2015 AmLaw 100, ALM
- Local leaders break ground on new building in downtown South Bend
- South Bend Gets First Downtown Office Building in 20 Years
- The Barnes and Thornburg Building
- Downtown South Bend sees first new office building in more than 20 years
- Barnes & Thornburg moving to planned downtown South Bend building
- "Aviation Law practice group". Btlaw.com. Retrieved 2011-08-08.