Barley water is a traditional drink consumed in various parts of the world. It is made by boiling barley grains in water, then (usually) straining to remove the grains, and possibly adding other ingredients, for example sugar.
- Kykeon (Gr. κυκεών - kykeōn, from κυκάω, "to stir, to mix") was an ancient Greek drink made mainly of water, barley and naturally occurring substances. It was used at the climax of the Eleusinian Mysteries to break a sacred fast, but it was also a favourite drink of Greek peasants.
- Agua de cebada, in Spanish speaking countries, is made with malted barley, sugar and lemon.
- The British version is made by boiling washed pearl barley, straining, and adding fruit juice and sugar to taste. The fruit rind may also be boiled with the barley.
- East Asian and Southeast Asian versions are typically not strained and may be consumed hot or cold, with or without lime. These kinds of barley water generally include the strained grain within the drink. Hot barley water is often served with a spoon and cold barley water with a straw so that the soft-boiled grains can be eaten.
- Roasted barley tea is also a popular East Asian drink. The roasted barley is strained and removed before drinking.
- It is also a popular drink among Punjabi peasants. It is called sattu in Punjabi.
Barley water has been used as a first baby food, before feeding with barley mush. It is also used as a home treatment that allegedly cures cystitis.
- Webster, Peter; Ruck, Carl; & Perrine, Daniel M (2000). Mixing the kykeon. Eleusis: Journal of Psychoactive Plants and Compounds: New series 4. Researchgate.net. Retrieved Sept. 25, 2019. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317412224_Mixing_the_Kykeon
- "La horchata, la leche merengada, el agua de cebada y el granizado de limón sí son para el verano - Sibaritisimo". www.republica.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-04-11.
Para entendernos, el agua de cebada es una bebida hecha a base de malta, primero tostada y después cocinada con caña de azúcar, a la que se añade un poco de limón granizado.
- Pearl barley recipes. BBC. Retrieved Sept. 25, 2019. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/pearl_barley
- Picincu, Andra (2018). The health benefits of roasted barley tea. SFGate.com. Retrieved Sept. 25, 2019. https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-roasted-barley-tea-12121.html
- Alexander, Margaret F; Fawcett, Josephine N; Runciman, Phyllis J (2000), "Cystitis", Nursing practice: hospital and home : the adult, ISBN 9780443060137