Barclay de Tolly (Russian nobility)
Barclay de Tolly (Russian: Баркла́й-де-То́лли) is the name of a Baltic German noble family of Scottish origin (Clan Barclay). During the time of the Revolution of 1688 in Britain, the family migrated to Russia from Towy (Towie) in Aberdeenshire. It then became a German-speaking family in Livonia.
|Barclay de Tolly|
Arms of Prince Barclay de Tolly
|Parent house||Clan Barclay|
|Motto||Верность и терпение|
("Loyalty and patience")
Weinhold Gotthard Barclay de Tolly (Russian: Богдан Баркла́й-де-То́лли; 1734–1781) was a poruchik of the Russian Army and a descendant of one of the burgomasters of Riga. He was the first of his family to be accepted into the Russian nobility. He was married to Margaretha Elisabeth von Smitten (1733–1771), and they had four sons: Emil Johann, a General in the Russian service; B. Michael Bogdanovitch; C. Andrei Bogdanovitch, a Colonel; and Michael Bogdanovitch (known as Prince Michael Andreas Barclay de Tolly), a very prominent military commander who was made a count in 1813 and a prince in 1815 by Alexander I of Russia.
After the extinction of the original Barclay de Tolly princely line upon the death in 1871 of Prince Michael's son, Magnus, Alexander II of Russia allowed Prince Michael's sister's grandson (through female lineage), Alexander von Weymarn, to assume the title of Prince Barclay de Tolly-Weymarn in 1872.
- Prince Michael Andreas Barclay de Tolly (27 December [O.S. 16 December] 1761 – 26 May [O.S. 14 May] 1818) was an Imperial Russian Field Marshal and Minister of War during Napoleon's invasion in 1812 and War of the Sixth Coalition. He implemented a number of reforms during this time which improved the supply system in the army, doubled the number of army troops, and implemented new combat training principles. He was also the Governor-General of Finland.
- Prince Alexander Barclay de Tolly-Weymarn (December 22, 1824 – May 8, 1905) was an Imperial Russian regiment commander, division commander and corps commander. He was the son of Wilhelm Peter Jost von Weymarn and great-nephew of Prince Michael Andreas Barclay de Tolly. He married Marie Friederike von Seddeler in 1849 and had three children: daughters Alexandrine (Ada) Auguste Olga Barclay de Tolly-Weymarn and Marie (Mira) Georgia Augusta Barclay de Tolly-Weymarn, and son Ludwig (Louis) Alexander Michael Barclay de Tolly-Weymarn.
- "Scottish Influences in Russian History" (PDF).
- "Genealogisches Handbuch der Oeselschen Ritterschaft, Seite 442". personen.digitale-sammlungen.de.
- "Weymarn, Alexander Magnus Friedrich v., seit 31. Mai 1872 Fürst Barclay de Tolly-W.". Retrieved 8 November 2018. In: BBLd – Baltisches Biographisches Lexikon digital. Göttingen 2012