Bar Mitzvah Boy (musical)
|Bar Mitzvah Boy|
|Basis||1976 BBC1 teleplay |
Bar Mitzvah Boy
|Productions||1978 West End |
Based on Rosenthal's award-winning 1976 BBC1 teleplay of the same name, it focuses on young Eliot Green who, filled with apprehension, escapes from the synagogue where he is about to make his bar mitzvah, much to the dismay of his middle class parents, who have invested their savings in a lavish party to celebrate their son's coming of age.
The West End production opened on 31 October 1978 at Her Majesty's Theatre, where it ran for 78 performances. The cast included Barry Angel, Joyce Blair, Zelah Clarke, Leonie Cosman, Ray C. Davis, Gordon Faith, Ashley Knight, Benny Lee, Barry Martin, Vivienne Martin, Harry Towb, Kerry Shale and Peter Whitman. CBS released an original cast recording. It was choreographed by Peter Gennaro and directed by Martin Charnin.
The off-Broadway production, directed by Robert Kalfin, opened on June 10, 1987 at the American Jewish Theater of the 92nd Street Y. The cast included Peter Smith as Eliot, with Larry Keith, Mary Gutzi, Mary Stout, Michael Cone, Michael Callan, Eleanor Reissa, Daniel Marcus, Kimberly Stern, and Reuben Schafer.
- If Only A Little Bit Sticks
- The Bar Mitzvah of Eliot Green
- This Time Tomorrow
- Thou Shalt Not
- The Harolds Of This World
- We've Done Alright
- You Wouldn't Be You
- Rita's Request
- Where is the Music Coming From?
- The Sun Shines Out of Your Eyes
- I've Just Begun
- Listing castalbumdb.com
- "Charnin Overview". Allmusic.com, accessed July 11, 2012
- Pincus-Roth, Zachary."Prince, Reichard, Friedman and Others Cast in Bar Mitzvah Boy Reading Jan. 26" playbill.com, January 25, 2007