Bangkok Patana School
Bangkok Patana School (Thai: โรงเรียนบางกอกพัฒนา) is a British International School located in Bang Na District, Bangkok, Thailand. Bangkok Patana School was founded in 1957 to provide a British-style education for the children of English-speaking expatriates and others living in Bangkok.
|Bangkok Patana School|
|Type||Private, Mixed Day "British International School"|
|Head of school||Matthew G. Mills, MSc.Ed., BEd, Adv. Diploma Teaching|
|School colour(s)||Patana Montrachet Red, Patana Blue and Patana Grey. Black and orange for sports|
|Mascot||Tiger (Tiger shark for swim teams)|
Students range from 18 months to 18 years of age and follow the English National Curriculum until they sit IGCSE examinations at 16. Senior students take the International Baccalaureate Diploma or Certificate in Years 12 and 13.
- Mr. Matthew Mills – Head of School
- Mr. Andrew Gordon - Business Director
- Mr. Jason Cooper – Primary Principal
- Mr. Mick Smith - Secondary Principal
- Ms. Helen Thew - Cross Campus Principal
As of 2017, 24% of the students are from British families and this is the largest group of students by nationality. The school is international with the student body representing 60 - 65 nationalities.
The 48 acre campus, situated in Bangna, includes purpose built classrooms, secondary and primary libraries, three swimming pools, an indoor sports centre, tennis courts and sports fields. The school is also home to an Arts Centre, Science Centre, and a Theatre that offers facilities for students, teachers and the community.
Bangkok Patana School is accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS), and is an IB World School.
Throughout the year, the school hosts events such as busking day (Primary only), bring and buy sales, bake sales, and concerts. Events that do not interrupt the school week include dance competitions, school plays, and secondary dances. The school also hosted the first TEDxYouth Event in South-East Asia, TEDxBangkokPatanaSchool. Often the music department hosts concerts pertaining to a particular style of music; these include the Patana Jazz and Blues, Patana Classic, Patana Plugged and Patana Unplugged, Summer Concerts, Christmas Concerts, etc.
The sports teams in the school compete under the name and mascot of tigers. Each sports teams use variations of the Tiger name, such as the tiger sharks for the swim team. The teams compete in tournaments such as BISAC, SEASAC and FOBISIA even at the Varsity level in sports like basketball, football, volleyball, softball, swimming, badminton and athletics. Bangkok Patana School opened their new sports hall in 2007 (to commemorate their 50th anniversary), which was opened by the Princess of Thailand. Bangkok Patana School along with other schools from around South-East Asia compete in the FOBISIA tournament every year. They have a range of, U9, U11, U13, U15, Junior Varsity and Varsity.
- Joni Anwar – singer and actor
- Praekarn Nirandara (Pieretta Dawn) – author
- Ananda Everingham – actor
- Louis Scott - actor, singer, TV host, racer
- Rowena Kennett – VJ for MTV Thailand
- Alex Rendell – actor, singer
- Urassaya Sperbund – actress, model
- Somtow Sucharitkul – Composer, conductor and author of "Vampire Junction"
- Erika Tham - actress
- Michele Waagaard – model, JAMP singer and VJ for MTV Thailand
- Tata Young – singer, actress and model
- "Contact Us." Bangkok Patana School. Retrieved on 26 March 2013. "Postal Address : Bangkok Patana School, 643 La Salle Road (Sukhumvit 105), Bangna, Bangkok 10260, Thailand" – Thai: "โรงเรียนบางกอกพัฒนา 643 ถ.ลาซาล (สุขุมวิท 105) แขวง/เขต บางนา กรุงเทพฯ 10260" Map, Print map
- Mansell, Warwick. "Expat guide to Thailand: schools" (Archive). The Telegraph. 26 May 2010. Retrieved on 24 October 2015.
- "Bangkok Pattana School". Education Review Thailand. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Bangkok Patana School". International Baccalaureate. Retrieved 1 February 2015.