Ballads for Bass Clarinet
|Ballads for Bass Clarinet|
|Studio album by|
|David Murray chronology|
Music and recording
The album was recorded in October 1991 by the quartet of Murray (bass clarinet), pianist John Hicks, bassist Ray Drummond, and drummer Idris Muhammad. There is a short passage of anguish in "Portrait of a Black Woman".
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|
Ballads for Bass Clarinet was released by DIW Records. The AllMusic review awarded the album 3 stars. The Penguin Guide to Jazz commented on the similarity between Murray's phrasing on bass clarinet and on tenor saxophone.
- "Waltz to Heaven" – 9:36
- "New Life" – 9:05
- "Chazz" (Wilber Morris) – 8:43
- "Portrait of a Black Woman – for Mae Francis Owens" – 11:39
- "Lyons Street" (Idris Muhammad) – 3:21
- "Elegy for Fannie Lou" (Kunle Mwanga) – 9:46
- All compositions by David Murray except as indicated.