Ballacraine railway station
|The Isle of Man Railway Co., Ltd.|
Former crossing keeper's hut at Ballacraine station
|Location||Foxdale Road, Glenfaba,|
Isle of Man, IM7 6KL.
|Owned by||The Isle of Man Railway Co., Ltd.|
Between Douglas & Peel
|Platforms||One, Ground Level|
|Tracks||One Running Line|
|Structure type||Gatekeepers' Lodge|
|Opened||1 October 1876|
30 May 1927
|Closed||31 October 1879|
30 September 1929
9 September 1968 (As Crossing)
Originally opened in 1876 the halt provided a stopping place for the short walk to Glen Helen until 1879. Later in 1927 the halt was used again mainly by spectators attending the TT Races at Ballacraine.
The Douglas to Peel line closed in 1968 but this location ceased to be a halt in 1929; up until this time it featured infrequently in timetable literature and was only used as a somewhat unofficial drop-of point for spectators viewing the T.T. road races.
The site today
The Steam Heritage Trail now passes through the site, and the former crossing keepers' lodge has been retained, now forming a shelter for walkers.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Isle of Man Railway||St John's|
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Station on navigable O.S. map Road junction south of Ballacraine village marked as Scravorley