Bahir Dar Stadium
Bahir Dar Stadium (Amharic: ባህር ዳር ስታዲየም) is an unfinished multi-purpose stadium in Bahir Dar, Ethiopia. It is used mostly for football matches although it also has athletics facilities. The stadium has a capacity of 60,000 people. Currently, the stadium is the largest in the country by capacity, but currently lacks seats, an awning, or any facilities, such as concessions or bathrooms, beyond structural concrete elements.
ባህር ዳር ስታዲየም
Bahir Dar Stadium hosting an Ethiopian National Football Team Match
|Full name||Bahir Dar National Stadium|
|Location||Bahir Dar, Ethiopia|
|Ethiopia national football team|
In March 2015, the stadium hosted the CAF Confederation Cup match between Dedebit F.C. and Cote d'or of Seychelles. On June 14 2015, Bahir Dar Stadium hosted 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualification match between Ethiopia and Lesotho. The game was attended by more than 70,000 spectators which was well over the capacity of the stadium.
The Ethiopian football federation collected a record 1 million Birr from the gate fee for the match between Ethiopia and Lesotho. As a result of the large seating capacity of the stadium and the big revenue it generates, the Ethiopian Football Federation has plans to use the Bahir Dar Stadium as a home venue for the national team until the proposed stadium in Addis Ababa is completed.
In November 2015, the Ethiopian Football Federation announced that Bahir Dar Stadium has been selected as one of the three host cities for the 2015 CECAFA Cup. The Stadium is also expected to host the would be largest music concert in Ethiopia on January 21, 2018, with Teddy Afro's "Wede Fikir Guzo" (translated as 'A trip to love')
- Tolesa, Dawit (2015-02-28). "Tanzania/Ethiopia: Football Showdown in Bahir Dar Stadium - Dedebit Vs Cote d'Or and St. George Vs MC El Eulma". Allafrica.com. Retrieved 2015-06-18.
- "MIDROC Ethiopia to build stadium in Bahir Dar City". Nazret.com. Retrieved 2015-06-18.
- "Lesotho/Ethiopia: Ethiopia Start Campaign With Victory Over Lesotho Featured". Allafrica.com. Retrieved 2015-06-18.
- "African Nations Cup - Ghana ease past Mauritius". Espfc.com. Retrieved 2015-06-18.
- "Ethiopia vs Kenya CHAN Qualifier Updates". michezoafrika.com. Retrieved 2015-06-30.