The BTR-3 is an Eight-wheel drive armored personnel carrier developed in 2000-2001 by an international consortium. The companies involved in the project include the Kharkiv Morozov Machine Building Design Bureau of Ukraine, the ADCOM MANUFACTURING Company of Abu-Dhabi, UAE, and the State Scientific Technical Centre of Artillery & Rifle Arms of Ukraine. Although somewhat similar in appearance to the Russian BTR-80, the BTR-3U is an all-new production vehicle rather than an update of the existing in-service vehicle.
|Type||Armored personnel carrier|
|Place of origin||Ukraine|
|In service||2000 - present|
|Used by||Ukrainian Ground Forces|
National Guard of Ukraine
Royal Thai Army
|Wars||Boko Haram insurgency|
War in Donbass
|Manufacturer||Kharkiv Morozov Machine Building Design Bureau|
|Height||2.8 m (including turret)|
|Crew||3 crew (+6 passengers)|
|125mm tank gun KBA-3 or KBA-105 Shkval with 30 mm caliber ZTM-1 autocannon or Stiletto turret with 30mm ZTM-2 or 90mm Cockerill CSE 90LP|
The BTR-3U is fitted with the one-person KBA-105 "Shkval" unified fighting module which can accommodate 30mm gun, 7.62mm coaxial machine gun, 30mm automatic grenade launcher and anti-tank guided weapons. This module was developed by the State Scientific Technical Centre of Artillery & Rifle Arms of Ukraine. The Shkval fighting module design is versatile, but can also with another turret.
- The 125 mm KBA-3 tank gun
- The Cockerill CSE 90LP with 90mm Cockerill LP
- The KBA-105 one person manned turret with 30 mm ZTM-1 dual-feed autocannon that has 350 rounds of ready-use ammunition or Stiletto turret with 30mm ZTM-2.
- A total of 2,500 rounds are carried for the 7.62mm coaxial machine gun.
- The 30 mm AGS-17D grenade launcher is mounted on the left side of the turret, having 29 rounds of ready-use ammunition, with additional 87 rounds being carried in reserve (three magazines, each containing 29 rounds).
- Cockerill CPWS 30 turret with 30mm autocannon.
- Six 81 mm electrically operated smoke/aerosol grenade launchers are mounted three either side of the turret rear and firing forwards.
- The sighting systems include a commander's 1PZ-3 observation periscope and a TKN-4S Agat stabilised sight which is integrated with the missile fire control system.
The standard equipment of the BTR-3U also includes hydraulically amplified powered steering on the front four road wheels and a central tire-pressure regulation system that allows the driver to adjust the tire-pressure to suit the terrain being crossed. The BTR-3U is fitted with French Michelin tires.
The BTR-3U engine compartment consists of a Deutz BF6M1015 diesel developing 326 hp coupled to an Allison MD3066 fully automatic transmission. The power pack and transmission are fitted by the Kharkiv Morozov Machine Building Design Bureau with the technical assistance of the Deutz AG and the Allison Transmission companies. The engine compartment is fitted with an automatic double-action fire extinguishing system.
The vehicle is fully amphibious, propelled when afloat by a single water jet mounted at the rear of the hull. To prepare the vehicle for water, the driver erects a trim vane and switches on the bilge pumps from within the vehicle.
The troop compartment accommodates six soldiers who enter and leave the vehicle by a door in either side of the hull. The lower part of the door folds downward to form a step, with the upper part opening forwards. There are also hatches in the roof and firing ports with associated vision devices provided in the sides and front of the vehicle. An air conditioning system is fitted as standard to ensure crew comfort in hot conditions.
- BTR-3U "Hunter": initially known as BTR-94K. As described.
- BTR-3U Guardian: version for UAE Marines with "Buran-N1" turret.
- BTR-3E: has a new UTD-20 engine.
- BTR-3DA: upgraded version purchased by the Ukrainian armed forces in 2017. BTR-3DA is BM-3M Shturm-M weapon station armed with ZTM-1 30mm autocannon, KT-7,62 machine gun, KBA-117 30mm grenade launcher.
- BTR-3KSH: version of command and Control vehicle.
Azerbaijan: 6 BTR-3/12.7 Chad: 8 BTR-3U Ecuador: 3 BTR-3U ordered Kazakhstan: 2 BTR-3E Myanmar: 368 BTR-3U delivered as of Jan 2013 (1,000 ordered) Nigeria: 30 BTR-3UN, 6 BTR-3UK, 4 BTR-3UR and 7 BTR-3E/14.5 Saudi Arabia: General Directorate of Civil Defense. Sudan: 2 BTR-3 Thailand: 96 BTR-3E1s delivered with the price tag of 4 billion baht, 120 more on order from Ukraine. The first 2 of 96 BTR-3E1 have been delivered at U Tapao Airport on 17 September 2010. The second batch of 121 BTR-3E1s with a price tag of 5 billion baht have been ordered by Royal Thai Army and 14 BTR-3E1s have been ordered by Royal Thai Navy to be used by Royal Thai Marine Corps in August 2010 with the MTU Engine and Edison Gear. The Royal Thai Army plans to use the BTR-3E1 as the backbone for one regiment of create the Mobile Infantry regiment which require 288 BTR-3E1s even the first 96 BTR-3E1 would be enough to create only one mobile infantry battalion. The first 96 BTR-3E1 consisted of seven variation models including 64 BTR-3E1 for infantry mobilization, four BTR-3E1 for commanders, three BTR-3E1s for field medics, nine BTR-3E1s for mobilized 81-mm grenade launchers, four BTR-3E1s for mobilized 120-mm grenade launchers, six BTR-3E1s for ATMS anti-tank rocket unit, and six BTR-3E1s for salvaging tasks. Furthermore, the Ukrainian government has given five BTR-3E1s for free including four BTR-3E1s for infantry mobilization and one BTR-3E1 for salvaging tasks in addition to the first batch of 96 BTR-3E1s, while making a contract for the maintenance of nine BTR-3E1. The batch of 12 BTR-3E1s for Royal Thai Marine Corps have reached Thung Prong Port in Sattahip on 24 June 2011 and the ceremony has been held on 29 July 2011. These BTR-3E1 vehicles are to replace the aging V-150 armoured vehicles which will be kept in the Reconnaissance Battalion of Royal Thai Marine Corps before being deployed in three southern provinces. Another order for 15 BTR-3E1 and 6 BTR-3RK vehicles was placed by the Royal Thai Army in August 2013. United Arab Emirates: 90 Guardians Ukraine: 22 BTR-3Es were ordered for Armed Forces of Ukraine and National Guard of Ukraine, 5 BTR-3Es were delivered in June 2014 50 BTR-3DA delivered in December 2017.
Indonesia signed a deal to order 21 BTR-3s
- Morozoc Machine Building: About BTR-3U
- "ARMORED VEHICLES UPGRADE AND UPDATE: UKRAINIAN ACCENT".
- "Glavcom: Ukrainian combat module BM-3M Shturm-M".
- "Al-Wahash Armored Personnel Carrier with Shturm Combat Turret at IDEX 2019 – A Joint Project of Ukraine and UAE".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 29 September 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 December 2013. Retrieved 22 December 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Cranny-Evans, Samuel (2 November 2017). "Ukraine to purchase more BTR-3DA IFVs". IHS Jane's 360. Archived from the original on 3 January 2018. Retrieved 3 January 2018.
- Malyasov, Dylan (29 October 2017). "Ukrainian Army orders new BTR-3DA armoured personnel carriers". Defence Blog. Archived from the original on 3 January 2018. Retrieved 3 January 2018.
- "BTR-3DA 8X8 APC". Army Recognition. 31 December 2017. Archived from the original on 3 January 2018. Retrieved 3 January 2018.
- "Ukrainian air assault brigade tested the BTR-3DA during exercises | July 2019 Global Defense Security army news industry | Defense Security global news industry army 2019 | Archive News year".
- List of military techniques Azerbaijan acquired over the past 7 years
- UNITED NATIONS - Office for Disarmament Affairs
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 29 September 2007. Retrieved 21 November 2007.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Пожарный вариант 3-шки". Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- Украина выиграла тендер на поставку 200 танков «Оплот» в Таиланд Segodnya.ua]
- ยูเครนส่งมอบ “รถหุ้มเกราะ” ล็อตแรกถึงไทยแล้ว www.pattayadailynews.com]
- ทบ.ชงซื้อรถหุ้มเกราะยูเครนล็อตสองอีก121คัน Archived 10 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine www.suthichaiyoon.com]
- ยานเกราะล้อยางจากยูเครนถึงไทยแล้ว พร้อมปฏิบัติภารกิจใน 3 จชต. www.manager.co.th]
- Thailand; Third batch Ukrainian BTR ordered Archived 6 August 2013 at the Wayback Machine – Dmilt.com, 3 August 2013
- "Yatseniuk: Cabinet of Ministers to allocate Hr 100 million to buy 22 BTR-3Es". Kyiv Post. 23 May 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- Нацгвардия получила пять новых БТР-3Е Киевского бронетанкового завода - СМИ // "УНИАН" от 25 июня 2014
- "Ukraine army takes delivery of 50 BTR-3DA 8x8 APC armoured". Army Recognition. 31 December 2017. Archived from the original on 3 January 2018. Retrieved 3 January 2018.