B2K (Boys of the New Millennium) is an American boy band that was active from 1998 to 2004, and again from 2018 onwards. In 1998, the group was formed by American record producer Chris Stokes. They released their self-titled debut album on March 12, 2002. The album peaked at #2 on the Billboard 200 and #1 on the U.S. Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart.
Boys of the New Millenium
|Also known as||B2K|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Years active||1998-2004, 2018-Present|
1998–2002: Formation and self-titled debut album
The group met in 1998 and was managed by music producer Chris Stokes with Lil' Fizz, J-Boog, and Raz-B as members. During Marques Houston's 18th birthday party that Chris Stokes was hosting in 1999, Omarion joined the group. They named their group B2K to represent the fact that they got together in the beginning of the year 2000, which was also considered the "Y2K" era, in turn they considered themselves "Boys of the New Millennium" and acronym it B2K. They made a cameo in Lil' Bow Wow's video for "Ghetto Girls", and were the opening act on the Scream Tour I.
B2K broke into the US pop charts in late 2001 with their single "Uh Huh". The group's debut album, B2K was released on March 12, 2002. The album peaked at #2 on the Billboard 200 and #1 on the U.S. Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs albums chart.
Their debut album included follow-up singles including "Gots Ta Be", which managed to break the top 40 by charting at #34. Their final single, "Why I Love You", was released in the spring, along with a music video that featured cameos from labelmates Jhene Aiko and Naya Rivera. Even though it had very little success on the Billboard 100, charting at #73, it entered the top 20 on the U.S. Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, charting at #19. The group's debut album was certified Gold in the summer. B2K also performed a concert special for Nickelodeon in July of that year. They were also featured in the magazines Word Up and Right On, along with other R&B artists.
2002–2004: Pandemonium!, You Got Served and split
After performing on the Scream Tour II with Bow Wow, TG4 and IMx, B2K released a Christmas album titled Santa Hooked Me Up. That same month, the group released their fourth single, Bump, Bump, Bump which featured Bad Boy executive, P. Diddy, which was the lead single of their second album. Not long after that, B2K released their second album, Pandemonium! on December 10, 2002, and featured collaborations with P. Diddy, Makeba Riddick, Romeo of IMx, and Jhene. Pandemonium debuted at number ten on the Billboard 200 and at number three on the Top R&B/Hip Hop Albums.
The lead single, Bump, Bump, Bump, peaked at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, and became the group's first top ten and number one single. The second single, Girlfriend, was released in 2003, and broke the top 40 and the U.S. R&B top 20 by charting at #30 and #19, respectively. The single was promoted with a music video featuring Will Smith, Vivica A. Fox, Flex Alexander, Ronald Isley, and Jennifer Freeman. The final single, "What A Girl Wants", had only minor success on the US R&B Songs Chart, charting at #47. They were featured on the Scream Tour III along with Marques Houston, Nick Cannon, AJA, Jhene, and Mario.
In 2003 all of the members filmed the movie You Got Served along with IMx members Marques Houston and Jerome Jones, TV host Steve Harvey and actresses Meagan Good and Jennifer Freeman. The movie stars Houston and Omarion as the lead members of a dance crew that compete in a competition, with the members of B2K as the rest of their crew members. The movie also spawned a soundtrack, which included the single "Badaboom", which featured rapper Fabolous and charted #51 on the Billboard Hot 100. The group also won a Kids' Choice Award in 2003 for Favorite Music group. Around the time the movie was released, manager Chris Stokes announced the group's split, claiming internal disagreements for the split. Omarion went solo and has released four albums since then. The split occurred because 3 of the members didn't want to work next to Chris Stokes or Marques Houston who was accused of "Sexually Molesting" each member of B2K. They also "wanted to be treated fairly". However, Omarion chose to stay with Stokes and let him manage his solo career.
2005–2018: Solo ventures, Love & Hip Hop
During the bands' separation, Each members ventured off into solo careers, collaborations and endeavors. Starting from 2005, Omarion embarked on a popular musical journey becoming a solo artist releasing 6 studio albums including a collaboration album with Bow Wow and a new album "Reasons" that is set to be released in 2019. From 2005 to 2007 Lil Fizz guest-starred on Fox's comedy series The War at Home for 2 seasons. After much controversy, Raz-B relocated overseas to China in pursuit of a solo career as well as becoming an entrepreneur and manager of his own record label. In 2009, J-Boog partnered with Lil' fizz on a 5-Track EP album "Nightlife". J-Boog also partnered with IMx band-mate and relative Marques Houston in becoming a writer, producer as well as Vice President for Houstons' film production company Footage Films.
In 2014, Omarion and Fizz became main cast members of VH1's reality show/drama Love & Hip Hop: Hollywood, where both members showcased their private lives with their relationships. Omarion left after two seasons to focus on his personal life with his wife and newborn child, while Fizz remained as supporting cast for the remainder of the seasons. During the series in 2017, J-Boog makes an appearance as Fizz tried to make an attempt to get the band back together with Omarion not being present and possibly having co-star and long time friend Ray J to be part of the group or replacement. But Ray J's ego caused tension between him and J-Boog, which resulted in Fizz and Boog deciding it was best to just let the group rest in their history and reunite the right way.
2018–present: The Millennium Tour Reunion
In late December 2018, it was announced that after 15 years, B2K would finally reunite for "The Millennium Tour" in 2019. The 3-month city tour is scheduled for March, April and May 2019 as the location and dates have been released on New Year's Eve 2018 through G-Squared Events website. The tour will feature all four members of B2K with acts Pretty Ricky, Chingy, Ying Yang Twins, Mario, Bobby V and Lloyd also joining. As of yet, there are no announcements of a new album from the band, however in a few interviews, they hinted that anything is possible in the future.
Special appearances during the tour
During the NYC show at Madison Square Garden, Ashanti had made a brief surprise appearance performing with Lloyd on their hit single "Southside". During the Baltimore, MD stop on the tour, K-ci of Jodeci made a surprise collaboration during Bobby Valentino's cover performance of "Come And Talk to Me" and Ginuwine appeared to perform his hit single "Pony". The Atlanta stop of the tour led to many surprise on-stage appearances with Sammie performing his hit single "I Like It", Keri Hilson performing "Knock You Down", D4L performing "Laffy Taffy", Murphy Lee appeared to perform his verse from "Shake Ya Tailfeather", B5 performed their hit cover of "All I Do", Keith Sweat performed his classic "Nobody", Bone Crusher performed "Never Scared", Yung Joc performed "It's Going Down" and Omarion shared the stage with Bow Wow as he performed a wide range of songs including their hit collaboration single "Let Me Hold You"
Raz-B various incidents during the tour
During the 3 months of the Millennium Tour, Raz-B was involved in multiple incidents which will also be documented as he officially joined as the newest cast member of VH1's reality show Love & Hip Hop: Hollywood, which will chronicle his life experiences while on tour
- During the first few weeks of the tour, Raz-B reported to Instagram on video explaining that he may recuse himself from the tour due to feeling uncomfortable and unsafe after allegations of former manager Chris Stokes was possibly in the presence of the group while on tour. His issues with the former manager stems from previous serious discrepancies dating back to 2005. Hours later the group made a statement that Raz-B will remain on tour and was in support of their bandmate's mental well being.
- During the Nashville, Tennessee stop on the tour, Raz-B walked off stage mid performance. He took to Instagram and posted "It really sucks, this being my dream tour. It’s not right! I’m the spirit of the group! I’m clearly alone in this, Omarion thanks for showing me love when nobody else would. I suggest nobody talk to me! Cause none of y'all understand what I'm going through!" He then mentions his dislike for their performance set opening sequence introduction: "Change the f---ing intro, I hate it!"
- In late April, Raz-B was arrested in Minneapolis after reports of domestic violence with his actress girlfriend. It was alleged that he physically strangled and choked her outside of a Macy's store. However, the County Attorney's Office decided not to prosecute him due to the lack of evidence provided. The producers and camera crew of Love & Hip Hop were not present during this event.
- In early May, during a 27-minute Lyft ride in Jacksonville, Florida. Raz-B slept through the ride and was half awake exiting the vehicle leaving his $2,500 Louis Vuitton bag. He contacted the driver and said that he hung up on him, which resulting in Raz-B making claims that the driver would not give it back. However, the driver in fact returned the bag by dropping it off at a secure location.
- On May 10, 2019, B2K announced that Raz-B will be taking a break from the tour to cater more to his health and well being. He will not be appearing for the remainder of the Florida dates of the tour. The group is in support of him receiving self care and will hope to see his return in the future.
- 2004: You Got Served
- Scream Tour I
- Scream Tour II
- Scream Tour III
- The Millennium Tour
- BET Awards
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2002||"Uh Huh"||Viewer's Choice Award||Won|
|B2K||Best New Artist||Nominated|
|2003||"Girlfriend"||Video of the Year||Nominated|
|"Bump, Bump, Bump"||Viewer's Choice Award||Won|
- Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2003||B2K||Favorite Music Group||Won|
|2004||B2K||Favorite Music Group||Nominated|
|"Bump, Bump, Bump"||Favorite Song||Nominated|
- Soul Train Music Awards
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2003||B2K||Best R&B/Soul Album – Group, Band or Duo||Won|
|"Bump, Bump, Bump"||Best R&B/Soul Single – Group, Band or Duo||Won|
|2004||Pandemonium!||Best R&B/Soul Album – Group, Band or Duo||Won|
|"Girlfriend"||Best R&B/Soul Single – Group, Band or Duo||Nominated|
- Burney, Lawrence (2017-03-07). "Omarion Talks About Being Vulnerable, Career Longevity, and His New Album". Noisey. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- "Demario Thornton aka Raz B". DJ Central TV | Official Website. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- "Interview: Former B2K Members Fizz and Boog Back As a Duo". HelloBeautiful. 2009-10-02. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- "Marques Houston's Film Company Has Employed Over 300 People In The Last Year". HelloBeautiful. 2018-11-30. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- Rogers, Jazmine Denise (2014-08-18). "'Love & Hip Hop Hollywood' Gets An Air Date, B2K's Omarion And Lil Fizz To Star In Series". MadameNoire. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- Michel 10/9/2017, Sarah. "Ray J Feels Disrespected by J Boog's Comments and is Ready to Square Up in the Love & Hip Hop Hollywood Sneak". VH1 News. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- Benitz, Samantha (2017-10-17). "'L&HH' Recap — Ray J Slammed As 'Fake Michael Jackson' & Denied From Joining B2K". Hollywood Life. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- Michel 10/17/2017, Sarah. "Bonus Clip: J-Boog Feels Ray2K Will Never Happen Because Some People Are Not Realistic About Their Current Celeb Status". VH1 News. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- "B2K to Reunite in 2019 for The Millennium Tour: Exclusive". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- Miss2Bees (2019-03-10). "Top 6 Moments of NYC Stop of The 'New Millennium Tour'". The Source. Retrieved 2019-03-20.
- "B2K's Raz B To Join 'Love & Hip Hop: Hollywood'". Vibe. 2019-05-06. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "B2K's Raz B Dropped Out Of The Millennium Tour For This Reason". BET.com. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- Washington, Jasmine (2019-03-26). "Fan Defends Raz-B After He Walked Off Stage Mid-Performance". EBONY. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "Raz B Joins Cast of 'Love & Hip Hop: Hollywood'". TMZ. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "Raz B Claims Lyft Driver Jacked Louis Vuitton Bag After Falling Asleep". TMZ. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "Raz B. Is Taking a Break From The B2K Millennium Tour. On the plus side Fizz is now snuggled up with Omarion's Baby Mama..." HOT 97 | #1 For Hip Hop. Retrieved 2019-05-10.