Aztecs Live at Sunbury
Aztecs Live! At Sunbury was a double live album released in August 1972 by Australian hard rock group Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs, which was recorded at the inaugural Sunbury Pop Festival in late January. A separate live album, Sunbury, by various artists, of highlights of the festival had been issued in May, and included some tracks by Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs.
|Aztecs Live! At Sunbury|
|Live album by|
|Recorded||30 January 1972|
|Label||Havoc Catalog No. HSP 4004|
|Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs chronology|
Aztecs Live! At Sunbury included eight tracks from their set. The double LP peaked at number 4 on the Australian Kent Music Report Albums Chart in September 1972. In mint condition, the original LP release, with pop-up inserts, is much sought after by collectors. A CD version was released in 2007 by Aztec Music, as Live at Sunbury by Billy Thorpe & the Aztecs.
In October 2010, Aztecs Live! At Sunbury (1972) was listed in the book, 100 Best Australian Albums.
The album is not to be confused with their previous album, entitled "Aztecs Live" (Havoc Catalog No. HSP 4001) , which was first released in 1971 and peaked at number 8 in the Australian album chart in April 1972 .
- "C C Rider" (7:08)
- "Be Bop a Lula" (5:23)
- "Momma" (11:33)
- "Rock Me Baby" (9:46)
- "Most People I Know Think That I'm Crazy" (7:27)
- "Time to Live" (6:33)
- "Jump Back" (10:03)
- "Ooh Poo Pa Doo" (15:17)
- Billy Thorpe - Guitar, Vocals, Harmonica on "Jump Back"
- Bruce Howard - Keyboards
- Paul Wheeler - Bass
- Gil Matthews - Drums
- Tex Davis - Composer
- Gene Vincent - Composer
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. Note: Used for Australian Singles and Albums charting from 1970 until ARIA created their own charts in mid-1988.
- McFarlane, Ian (1999). "Encyclopedia entry for 'Billy Thorpe'". Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop. St Leonards, NSW: Allen & Unwin. ISBN 1-86508-072-1. Archived from the original on April 19, 2004. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- Nimmervoll, Ed (2007). "Billy Thorpe (and the Aztecs)". HowlSpace: The Living History of Our Music (Ed Nimmervoll). Archived from the original on 15 April 2002. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs". MILESAGO: Australasian Music and Popular Culture 1964–1975. ICE Productions. 1999. Archived from the original on 14 May 2011. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "Live At Sunbury [sound recording] : [album]". catalogue. National Library of Australia. 14 September 2009. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- O'Donnell, John; Creswell, Toby; Mathieson, Craig (October 2010). 100 Best Australian Albums. Prahran, Vic: Hardie Grant Books. ISBN 978-1-74066-955-9.
- "CD Universe". Retrieved 2009-06-03.