The Avoca Lake, formerly known as Avoca Lagoon and as Bulbararing Lagoon, is an intermittently closed intermediate saline coastal lagoon that is located on the Central Coast region of New South Wales, Australia. Avoca Lake is located between the beachside settlements of North Avoca and Avoca Beach, and adjacent to the east coast, about 85 kilometres (53 mi) north of Sydney.
|Location||Central Coast, New South Wales, Australia|
|Lake type||Intermittently closed youthful saline coastal lagoon|
|Part of||Central Coast catchment|
|Primary outflows||Tasman Sea of the South Pacific Ocean|
|Catchment area||10.8 km2 (4.2 sq mi)|
|Surface area||70 ha (170 acres)|
|Average depth||0.4 m (1 ft 4 in) AHD|
|Water volume||293.2 ML (10.35×106 cu ft)|
|Surface elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|Settlements||North Avoca, Avoca Beach|
Features and location
The Avoca Lake is fed by stormwater runoff into Salwater Creek that gathers on the slopes within Kincumber Mountain Reserve to the northwest above Pickets Valley. The lake has a surface area of approximately 70 hectares (170 acres) and a catchment area of 10.8 square kilometres (4.2 sq mi). Its outflow is into Bulbararing Bay in the Tasman Sea of the South Pacific Ocean. The outflow is generally closed, and water levels inside the lake are not usually influenced by ocean tides.
Bareena Island lies entirely within Avoca Lake.
- Roy, P. S; Williams, R. J; Jones, A. R; Yassini, I; et al. (2001). "Structure and Function of South-east Australian Estuaries". Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 53: 351–384. doi:10.1006/ecss.2001.0796.
- "Estuaries of NSW: Avoca Lake". Office of Environment and Heritage. Government of New South Wales. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Avoca Lake". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Gosford Lagoons & Sydney Northern Beaches" (map). Office of Environment and Heritage. Government of New South Wales.
- McCormack, Robert B. (September 2010). "Avoca Lagoon Catchment: Freshwater Aquatic Biodiversity Survey" (PDF). Australian Aquatic Biological Pty Ltd. Gosford City Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 June 2014. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Gosford Coastal Lagoons Processes Study: Volume 1: Main Report & Figures" (PDF). Cardno LawsonTreloar. Gosford City Council. July 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 March 2012. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Gosford Coastal Lagoons Processes Study: Volume 2: Appendices" (PDF). Cardno LawsonTreloar. Gosford City Council. July 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 March 2012. Retrieved 6 April 2013.