Upon the designation of the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata by the Spanish Empire in 1776, the "Road of the Kingdom of Heaven" leading into Buenos Aires from the east was designated a Camino Real, a "Royal Road" fit for a Viceroy, and afforded improvements and some security. This Royal Road of the West, by 1782, traveled to Mendoza, a city over 600 miles (970 km) to the west (roughly along the modern National Highway 7). Dubbed Federation Road by the paramount Governor Juan Manuel de Rosas in 1836, it was renamed in honor of former President Bernardino Rivadavia in 1857, following the reestablishment of constitutional rule.
The Buenos Aires Metro, inaugurated in 1913, was extended to Rivadavia Avenue in 1926, whereby 11 of the 16 stations on Line
Avenida Rivadavia begins at a crosswalk between the Casa Rosada and the State Intelligence Bureau, on the northeast corner of Buenos Aires' storied Plaza de Mayo. Running westward along the plaza, the avenue passes along the National Bank of Argentina, the Metropolitan Cathedral of Buenos Aires and City Hall before entering the old financial district.
Crossing the pedestrian Calle Florida and the massive Avenida 9 de Julio, Rivadavia merges with Avenida de Mayo at Congressional Plaza, whereby it passes between the Argentine Congress and the Art nouveau Café El Molino. Passing through Plaza Miserere in the Balvanera area, nearby points of interest include the eclectic Venetian Casa de los Pavos Reales, and, in Almagro, the Art Nouveau Café Las Violetas. Along Rivadavia Park, in the Caballito area, the avenue affords a view of the Monument to Simón Bolívar, founding father to Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela.
Nearly 10 miles (16 km) west of its outset by the Casa Rosada, Rivadavia Avenue passes under the General Paz Beltway into Ciudadela, thus leaving the Federal District for the Province of Buenos Aires. The thoroughfare continues through the Buenos Aires suburbs of Morón, Castelar, Ituzaingó, San Antonio de Padua and Merlo before crossing the Reconquista River and becoming Bartolomé Mitre Avenue. Mitre Avenue travels west another 2.5 miles (4.0 km) before merging with Piovano Avenue in Moreno.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Avenida Rivadavia.|