Australian Story is a national weekly documentary television series produced by and broadcast on ABC Television. The program has aired since 29 May 1996, and each episode features the story of Australians from diverse backgrounds and reputations.
|Presented by||Caroline Jones (1996–2016)|
|Country of origin||Australia|
|No. of seasons||19|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original release||29 May 1996 –|
While Caroline Jones has presented the series since the program began, it is common for a high-profile person to introduce particular episodes as well. Despite Jones being presenter, there is no reporter narration. Instead, the stories are 'told' by the profile subjects and other individuals such as friends, family, colleagues and critics.
The personal approach to story-telling has been very well received with the program winning many awards including multiple Walkley Awards for excellence in journalism and four consecutive Logie Awards. As of 2013, it attracted an average audience of more than one million viewers each week making it one of the most popular programs on ABC Television.
The program features both high-profile Australians, such as politicians or celebrities, as well as ordinary Australians without a profile. Examples of well known people featured include Hazel Hawke, rugby league coach Wayne Bennett, Australia's first female Prime Minister Julia Gillard, broadcaster Red Symons, actor and author William McInnes, former Governor-General Peter Hollingworth, the founders of fashion label Sass & bide, art-activist Van Rudd, Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin and actress and singer Belinda Emmett.
Lower-profile Australians have also been profiled, such as Sabina Wolanski who was the Holocaust survivor chosen to represent the six million dead at the opening of the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe and Ove Hoegh-Guldberg, a climatologist specialising on the effects of climate change on coral reefs.
- "Australian Story celebrates 20 years on air". MediaWeek. 24 May 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- Northover, Kylie (2 June 2016). "For two decades Australian Story has told unique and compelling stories". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- Loane, Sally (26 May 1996). "Return of a tribal elder". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- "Awards". Australian Story. ABC. Retrieved 15 March 2017.
- "ABC Annual Report 2013 Part 2" (PDF). ABC. p. 56. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- Mumbrella, Tim (9 December 2016). "Caroline Jones to leave the ABC after half a century". Mumbrella. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "The Girl From Boryslaw: Australian Story with Sabina Wolanski". ABC. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- Latham, Rebecca. "Into Hot Water". Australian Story. ABC. Retrieved 11 July 2019.
- Official website
- Australian Story on IMDb
- Australian Story at the National Film and Sound Archive at Archive.today (archived 2012-12-03)
- Ric Richardson on Australian Story