Memorial plaque to August Schauer, Kočevske Poljane church wall
|Birth name||August Schauer|
|Born||17 January 1872|
Kočevske Poljane, Austria-Hungary
|Died||1 July 1941 69) (aged|
Ljubljana, Kingdom of Italy
|Buried||Kočevske Poljane, Slovenia|
After graduating from the lower secondary school in Kočevje, Schauer attended the upper secondary school in Novo Mesto. He then studied theology in Ljubljana and was ordained a priest on 22 July 1897.
Schauer celebrated his first mass in Kočevske Poljane on 8 August 1897. He was initially appointed as a curate in Koprivnik, and then transferred to Stari Log in 1899. Schauer then became the parish priest in Topla Reber in 1901. He became the parish priest of Koprivnik in 1906. Schauer served as the parish priest of Koprivnik for over 30 years. He was appointed a spiritual advisor in 1930. A celebration was held in Koprivnik on 10 January 1936 to mark his 30 years of service as parish priest. A celebration marking 40 years of his priesthood was held on 22 July 1937.
Schauer edited the Gottscheer Kalender (Gottschee Almanac) (sl) from 1925 to 1941, following the editorships of Wilhelm Tschinkel (1921–1923) and Robert Braune (1924). In addition to promoting Catholicism, the almanac also cultivated local history studies and the Gottscheerisch dialect. Schauer was among the organizers of the celebration in August 1930 to commemorate 600 years of Gottschee German settlement, and he delivered a sermon at the event. Like most of his fellow Gottschee German clergy, Schauer was opposed to the mass resettlement of the Gottschee Germans during the Second World War.
- Ferenc, Mitja, & Gojko Zupan. 2012. Izgubljene kočevske vasi, vol. 2 (K–P). Ljubljana: Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani, p. 229.
- Slovenec 3 July 1941, p. 4 (in Slovene)
- "Pfarrer Schauer und der fremde Gast." Gottscheer Zeitung 100(87)(4) (April): p. 8. Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine (in German)
- Kmetijske in rokodelske novice 55(28) 10 July 1897, p. 272 (in Slovene)
- "Gottscheer Persönlichkeiten. Wir stellen vor: Geistl. Rat Pfarrer August Schauer." Gottscheer Zeitung 102(89)(1) (January): p. 7. Archived 2007-03-25 at the Wayback Machine (in German)
- Kmetijske in rokodelske novice 57(32) 12 August 1899, p. 282 (in Slovene)
- Kmetijske in rokodelske novice 59(48) 30 November 1901, p. 476 (in Slovene)
- Deutsche Zeitung 55(63) 7 August 1930, p. 1 (in German)
- Ferenc, Tone. 1969. Nacistična raznarodovalna politika v Sloveniji v letih 1941–1945. Ljubljana: Obzorja, p. 590.
- Petschauer, Erich. 1984. "Das Jahrhundertbuch": Gottschee and its people through the centuries. New York: Gottscheer Relief Association, p. 126.
- Eppich, Josef. 1941. "Geistlicher Rat Pfarrer August Schauer." Gottscheer Zeitung (3 July).