Aspects of America
Aspects of America is a classical music album recorded by the Oregon Symphony under the direction of Carlos Kalmar, released by Pentatone on September 7, 2018. Featured works include: Magiya by Sean Shepherd, Microsymph by Sebastian Currier, Supplica by Christopher Rouse, Aspects of an Elephant by Kenji Bunch, and Souvenirs by Samuel Barber.
|Aspects of America|
|Studio album by|
|Venue||Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, Portland, Oregon|
|Oregon Symphony chronology|
Jonathan Blumhofer of The Arts Fuse said the recording "is at once superbly played, astutely programmed, and aesthetically necessary". He called "Magiya" "a spirited, blazingly colorful, seven-minute overture that brims with striking gestures and elegant musical ideas dressed up in a brilliant orchestration and never overstaying its welcome".
- "Magiya", Sean Shepherd - 7:14
- "Microsymph", Sebastian Currier - 12:33
- "Supplica", Christopher Rouse - 14:11
- Aspects of an Elephant, Kenji Bunch
- Introduction. Into Darkness - 2:18
- Var. 1, The Elephant Is a Whip - 1:44
- Var. 2, The Elephant Is a Spear - 1:38
- Var. 3, The Elephant Is a Silk Cloth - 2:30
- Var. 4, The Elephant Is a Tree - 2:02
- Var. 5, The Elephant Is a Snake - 1:43
- Var. 6, The Elephant Is a Throne - 1:55
- The Argument - 1:34
- Finale. The Creature Revealed - 6:21
- Souvenirs, Op. 28 (Version for Orchestra), Samuel Barber
- I. Waltz - 4:05
- II. Schottische - 2:24
- III. Pas de deux - 4:38
- IV. Two-Step - 1:53
- V. Hesitation-Tango - 3:52
- VI. Galop - 2:42
- "Aspects of America: Shepherd, Currier, Rouse, Bunch, Barber". Allmusic. Retrieved September 26, 2018.
- "Classical CD Reviews: Tesla Quartet plays Haydn, Ravel, and Stravinsky, Michael Tilson Thomas conducts Bernstein, Aspects of America". The Arts Fuse. Retrieved 2018-09-27.
- Aspects of America by Oregon Symphony & Carlos Kalmar, 2018-09-07, retrieved 2018-09-27