Askola (Finnish pronunciation: [ˈaskola]) is a municipality of Finland. It is located in the Uusimaa region. The municipality has a population of 4,962 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 218.03 square kilometres (84.18 sq mi) of which 5.61 km2 (2.17 sq mi) is water. The population density is 23.36 inhabitants per square kilometre (60.5/sq mi). Monninkylä is the largest village of municipality in terms of population (1,326 inhabitants). Neighbouring municipalities are Myrskylä, Mäntsälä, Pornainen, Porvoo and Pukkila.
Coat of arms
Location of Askola in Finland
|Coordinates: 60°31.7′N 025°36′E|
|• Municipal manager||Esko Rautiainen|
|• Total||218.03 km2 (84.18 sq mi)|
|• Land||212.42 km2 (82.02 sq mi)|
|• Water||5.61 km2 (2.17 sq mi)|
|Area rank||260th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||178th largest in Finland|
|• Density||23.36/km2 (60.5/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||95.5% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||20.6%|
|• 15 to 64||66.2%|
|• 65 or older||13.2%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19%|
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Results of the 2011 Finnish parliamentary election in Askola:
People born in Askola
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Monninkylä in Askola (Uusimaa)". City Population. Retrieved August 7, 2019.
- Most common surnames in Askola
- Municipality of Askola – Official website