Ashton Kane Hams (born 6 September 1986) is an Australian rules footballer who played for the West Coast Eagles in the Australian Football League (AFL). He was recruited from the South Fremantle Football Club in the West Australian Football League (WAFL), and played 39 games for West Coast from 2010 to 2013 as a small forward.
|Full name||Ashton Kane Hams|
|Date of birth||6 September 1986|
|Place of birth||Katanning, Western Australia|
|Original team(s)||Busselton Football Club|
|Draft||No. 40, 2010 rookie draft|
|Height||174 cm (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||77 kg (170 lb)|
|2010–2013||West Coast||39 (41)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2013.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Born in Katanning, family moved in 2001 to Busselton, Hams made his senior football debut for South Fremantle in the West Australian Football League (WAFL) towards the end of the 2004 season. He has since played in 88 games, including two grand final victories in 2005 and 2009. In 2009, he was awarded the Simpson Medal for being the best player in the Grand Final.
He was drafted by West Coast with the 40th (third round) of the 2010 AFL Rookie Draft, and was elevated from the rookie list to make his debut against Essendon in Round 4, 2010. He was able to be elevated when Tim Houlihan was placed on the long-term injury list due to a foot injury. He played 39 for West Coast over four seasons, but quit playing in the AFL when West Coast became aligned with East Perth in the WAFL. Hams knew that he would often be playing in the WAFL and didn't want to play for any club other than South Fremantle.
He played his final game in September 2018 when South Fremantle lost the Preliminary final to West Perth.
- "Every League Premiership Player in Page Finals System Era - 1931 - 2009". West Australian Football League. p. 6. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- Dixon, Meredith (14 October 2009) Double act with twins Archived 6 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine; The Busselton Mail
- Reid, Russell (21 September 2009) Simpson Medal winner Hams slices up Lions; The West Australian
- 2010 Rookie Draft Club by Club
- Hams in for Eagles debut
- Christmas comes early for Hams Archived 2 October 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Townsend, John (3 August 2018). "'Older, fatter and slower' - but no less dangerous". The West Australian. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- McInerney, Sam (6 November 2013). "Why Hams called it quits". AFL Players. AFLPA. Retrieved 6 August 2018.