Ashok K. Chandra
Ashok K. Chandra (30 July 1948 – 15 November 2014) was a computer scientist at Microsoft Research in Mountain View, California, United States, where he was a general manager at the Internet Services Research Center. Chandra received his PhD in Computer Science from Stanford University, an MS from University of California, Berkeley, and a BTech from IIT Kanpur. He was previously Director of Database and Distributed Systems at IBM Almaden Research Center.
Ashok K. Chandra
|Born||30 July 1948|
|Died||15 November 2014 66) (aged|
|Known for||conjunctive queries, alternating Turing machines|
|Doctoral advisor||Zohar Manna|
Chandra co-authored several key papers in theoretical computer science. Among other contributions, he introduced alternating Turing machines in computational complexity (with Dexter Kozen and Larry Stockmeyer), conjunctive queries in databases (with Philip M. Merlin), computable queries (with David Harel), and multiparty communication complexity (with Merrick L. Furst and Richard J. Lipton).
- Ashok K. Chandra at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Dr. Ashok Kumar Chandra Obituary". Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Ashok K. Chandra profile at Microsoft". Archived from the original on November 2, 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- Chandra, A. K.; Stockmeyer, L. J. (1976). Alternation. FOCS '76: Proceedings of the 17th IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science. Houston, Texas. pp. 98–108. doi:10.1109/SFCS.1976.4.
- Chandra, A. K.; Kozen, D. C.; Stockmeyer, L. J. (1981). "Alternation". Journal of the ACM. 28 (1): 114–133. doi:10.1145/322234.322243.
- Chandra, Ashok K.; Merlin, Philip M. (1977). Optimal Implementation of Conjunctive Queries in Relational Data Bases. STOC '77: Proceedings of the ninth annual ACM symposium on Theory of computing. pp. 77–90. doi:10.1145/800105.803397.
- Chandra, Ashok K.; Harel, David (1980). "Computable Queries for Relational Data Bases". Journal of Computer and System Sciences. 21 (2): 156–178. doi:10.1016/0022-0000(80)90032-X.
- Chadra, Ashok K.; Furst, Merrick L.; Lipton, Richard J. (1983). Multi-party protocols. STOC '83: Proceedings of the fifteenth annual ACM symposium on Theory of computing. pp. 94–99. doi:10.1145/800061.808737.
- "LICS – Archive". Archived from the original on March 11, 2012. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "IEEE Fellows – C". Archived from the original on November 2, 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2013.