Articular disk of the temporomandibular joint
|Articular disk of the temporomandibular joint|
Sagittal section of the articulation of the mandible (articular disk visible at center)
|Latin||Discus articularis articulationis temporomandibularis|
Its upper surface is concavo-convex from before backward, to accommodate itself to the form of the mandibular fossa and the articular tubercle.
Its under surface, in contact with the condyle, is concave.
Its circumference is connected to the articular capsule; and in front to the tendon of the Pterygoideus externus.
It is thicker at its periphery, especially behind, than at its center.
The fibers of which it is composed have a concentric arrangement, more apparent at the circumference than at the center.
It divides the joint into two cavities, each of which is furnished with a synovial membrane.
- Hansson, Tore; Öberg, Torsten; Carlsson, Gunnar E; Kopp, Sigvard (2009). "Thickness of the soft tissue layers and the articular disk in the temporomandibular joint". Acta Odontologica Scandinavica. 35 (2): 77–83. doi:10.3109/00016357709055993. PMID 266827.
- Koyama, J; Ito, J; Hayashi, T; Kobayashi, F (2001). "Synovial chondromatosis in the temporomandibular joint complicated by displacement and calcification of the articular disk: Report of two cases". American Journal of Neuroradiology. 22 (6): 1203–6. PMID 11415920.
- McCarty, William L; Farrar, William B (1979). "Surgery for internal derangements of the temporomandibular joint". The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 42 (2): 191–6. doi:10.1016/0022-3913(79)90174-4. PMID 287798.
- Fujita, Shigeyuki; Hoshino, Kazumasa (1989). "Histochemical and Immunohistochemical Studies on the Articular Disk of the Temporomandibular Joint in Rats". Cells Tissues Organs. 134 (1): 26–30. doi:10.1159/000146729. PMID 2718712.
- Hansson, Tore; Nordström, Birgitta (2009). "Thickness of the soft tissue layers and articular disk in temporomandibular joints with deviations in form". Acta Odontologica Scandinavica. 35 (6): 281–8. doi:10.3109/00016357709064126. PMID 271451.