Arthur van Hoff
Arthur van Hoff (born 16 February 1963) is a Dutch computer scientist and businessman.
Arthur van Hoff
Arthur van Hoff at Jaunt VR, Feb 2016
|Alma mater||University of Strathclyde|
|Occupation||Computer programmer, entrepreneur|
|Known for||Early contributor to the Java programming language|
After studying computer science at the University of Strathclyde and Hogere Informatica Opleiding, Van Hoff joined Sun Microsystems as an engineer with the Distributed Objects Everywhere team. In 1993, he joined the Java development team, writing the language's compiler and taking responsibility for its first release to Netscape in August 1995. In 1996, he left Sun, feeling that the options to develop Java outside of the organisation were "too tempting", and established the startup Marimba, serving as its Chief Technology Officer. At Marimba, Van Hoff led the engineering team in developing a pull technology-based software distribution system, Castanet.
In 2002, Van Hoff left Marimba, which was acquired by BMC Software for $240 million. He started Strangeberry, a startup that developed software to play computer-stored content on televisions. It was acquired by TiVo, Inc. in January 2004 and he joined TiVo as Principal Engineer. He resigned from TiVo in 2005 and later joined Flipboard as their Chief Technology Officer. He left Flipboard in November 2012 and started Jaunt Virtual Reality with co-founders Tom Annau and Jens Christensen. He currently serves as Chief Technology Officer of Jaunt, Inc., as well as the Entrepreneur-in-Residence of Redpoint Ventures.
- "Arthur A. van Hoff: Executive Profile & Biography". Businessweek. Bloomberg. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Oringel, Amy (11 March 1998). "Sun didn't set on Arthur van Hoff". Developer.com. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Bank, David. "The Java Saga". Wired. Conde Nast. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Arthur van Hoff; Sami Shaio; Orca Starbuck (January 1996). "Hooked on Java". Addison-Wesley.
- Schneider, Jeff (1 January 1996). "JDJ Interview: Arthur Van Hoff". Sys-Con Media. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Saran, Cliff (9 July 1998). "Marimba lushes out". Computer Weekly. TechTarget.
- Girard, Kim (September 2004). "Saving". Business 2.0.
- "Eigen Toekomst Scheppen: dat is leuk" (in Dutch). Intermediair. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Hawk, Thomas (21 April 2005). "TiVo Principal Engineer Arthur van Hoff Resigns". eHomeUpgrade. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Musante, Kenneth (22 July 2010). "Flipboard is On a Roll". SocialTimes. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Thomas, Owen (8 February 2013). "Flipboard Is Turning To Video, Hiring Hulu's Ex-CTO". BusinessInsider. Retrieved 23 February 2014.