Arthur & George
|Cover artist||Bill Sanderson|
|7 July 2005|
|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback)|
Set at the turn of the 20th century, the story follows the separate but intersecting lives of two very different British men: a half-Indian solicitor and son of a Vicar, George Edalji, and the world-famous author of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Roughly one-third of the book traces the story of Edalji's trial, conviction, and imprisonment for a crime he did not commit. About one-third of the book traces the story of Doyle's life and his relationships with his first wife Louisa Hawkins and his platonic lover Jean Leckie. Roughly one-third of the book concerns Doyle's attempt to clear the name of Edalji and uncover the true culprit of the crime. Julian Barnes called it "a contemporary novel set in the past" and the book does not aim to stick closely to the historical record at every point.
Characters in "Arthur & George"
- George Edalji, solicitor in Birmingham
- Charlotte Edalji née Stoneham, George's mother
- Shapurji Edalji, George's father, vicar of Great Wyrley
- Maud Edalji, George's sister
- Mr. Meek, George's lawyer
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the famous author
- Jean Leckie, Conan Doyle's second wife
- Louisa Doyle née Hawkins, Doyle's wife
- The Mam, Arthur's mother
- Connie, Arthur's sister
- Willie Hornung (E. W. Hornung), Connie's husband
- Mary Doyle, Arthur and Louisa's daughter
In 2014, for broadcast in 2015, ITV commissioned a three-part television series Arthur & George based on Arthur & George, starring Martin Clunes as Arthur Conan Doyle.
Awards and nominations
- 3. Oldfield, Roger Outrage: The Edalji Five and the Shadow of Sherlock Holmes, Vanguard Press (ISBN 978 184386 601 5)