Arnold River (Northern Territory)
|Etymology||Richard Aldous Arnold|
|Source||northeast of the Bullwaddy Conservation Reserve|
|⁃ coordinates||16°18′21″S 134°8′40″E|
|⁃ elevation||262 m (860 ft)|
|south of Hodgson Downs|
|74 m (243 ft)|
|Length||185.8 km (115.5 mi)|
|River system||Roper River|
|⁃ right||Williams Creek (Northern Territory), Horse Creek (Northern Territory)|
Course and features
The Arnold River rises about 30 kilometres (19 mi) northeast of the Bullwaddy Conservation Reserve and north of the Carpentaria Highway. It flows to the town Minamia (Cox River) in the Aboriginal reserve Alawa and then turns northwest and flows about 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) south of Hodgson Downs in the Hodgson River. The river is joined by two tributaries including the Williams and Horse creeks and flows through a series of lagoons and waterholes before reaching its river mouth.
The river is named for Richard Aldous Arnold, a pastoralist and politician, who purchased a pastoral lease in the area in 1895. The lease was a part of the Hodgson Downs cattle station. He sold his interest in 1905 and continued his political career as Clerk of the Legislative Assembly of New South Wales.
- "Place Names Register Extract - Arnold River". NT Place Names Register. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "Map of Arnold River, NT (1)". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- "Map of Arnold River, NT (2)". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- Parish, Steve (2007). Australian Touring Atlas. Archerfield QLD: Steve Parish Publishing. p. S97. ISBN 978-1-74193-232-4.