The Armstrong post office
Vermilion County's location in Illinois
Armstrong's location in Vermilion County
|Coordinates: 40°18′23″N 87°52′40″W|
|Elevation||212 m (696 ft)|
|GNIS feature ID||0403620|
Armstrong was laid out in 1876 on land owned by Thomas and Henry Armstrong; it was on the route of the Havana, Rantoul, and Eastern narrow-gauge railroad (which later became the Illinois Central Railroad).
On October 2, 1908, a fire destroyed many important buildings in Armstrong, including the general store, the harness shop, the blacksmith shop, the lumber yard, the opera house, the post office, and the grain elevator. Water was pumped by hand by residents to try to fight the fire, and water was also brought by rail from over a mile away; the town had no fire equipment.