April 2012 Idlib Governorate Operation
The April 2012 Idlib Governorate Operation was initiated by the Syrian Ba'athist government, in order to make gains against the rebels, prior to the implementation of the U.N. brokered ceasefire, planned for 10 April 2012. The ceasefire was officially announced by the Syrian Ba'athist government and other sides on 14 April 2012.
Binnish throughout the Syrian civil war has been a major protest hub. It had been captured by the FSA. The Syrian Army then later assaulted Idlib city in March 2012 in a major operation. As early as March 23, it was reported Binnish was one of their next targets. Binnish is on a hill, so it is harder to assault. The Syrian Army had agreed to Kofi Annan's peace plan and to withdraw troops by April 10.
On April 4, the Syrian Army was still shelling Binnish and Taftanaz. Citizens were reported to be fleeing Binnish, but could not flee Taftanaz because it was surrounded by the Syrian Army. 20 were reported killed in Taftanaz.
On April 5, the Syrian Army announced a pause in fighting in Taftanaz for residents to collect the dead. Imagery released by Ambassador Robert Ford showed that the Army withdrew from Taftanaz after taking it, then took the nearby town of Zardana.
On April 6, the Syrian Army started shelling the village of Killi.
- ""They Burned My Heart" - Human Rights Watch". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian refugees flee violence, talk of mass graves". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Outgunned Syria rebels turn to homemade bombs". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "SFLUXE". Archived from the original on 14 July 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syria's outgunned rebels in Idlib turn to homemade bombs". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Activist: After Syrian pullout vow, crackdown appears to escalate". CNN. 3 April 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-04-25. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Violence rages in Syria despite high-level diplomacy". CNN. 4 April 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120409015940/http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/06/11043361-a-pause-in-fighting-allows-syrians-to-get-food-collect-their-dead-in-idlib?lite. Archived from the original on April 9, 2012. Retrieved April 7, 2012. Missing or empty
- "A Message from Ambassador Ford". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Haroon Siddique. "Syria crisis, Bahrain unrest, Egypt turmoil - Friday 6 April". the Guardian. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian rebels reject new demands". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "UN team ready for Syria deployment". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "UN monitors head to Syria as fighting rages". Retrieved 25 October 2014.