Annu Kapoor (born as Anil Kapoor on 20 February 1956) is an Indian film actor and television presenter best-remembered for hosting the vocal reality show Antakshari from 1993 to 2006 and his roles in Mr. India (1987 film), Vicky Donor (2012) and Jolly LLB 2 (2017). He received Filmfare award as well as National Film Award for Best Supporting Actor for Vicky Donor.
Kapoor promoting Jolly LLB 2
20 February 1956
|Occupation||Actor, anchor, radio presenter|
|Spouse(s)||Anupama Kapoor, Arunita Mukherjee (divorced)|
Annu Kapoor was born in Itwara, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, on 20 February 1956, to Madanlal, a Punjabi father and Kamal, a Bengali mother. His father owned a travelling Parsi theatre company which performed in cities and towns, and his mother was a poet and a trained classical singer. His grandfather Dr Kripa Ram Kapoor was a doctor in the British Army and his great grandfather Lala Ganga Ram Kapoor, a revolutionary who was executed during the Indian freedom struggle.
Due to poor financial circumstances, he had to quit school following secondary education. With a salary of ₹ 40, his mother worked as a teacher. On his father's insistence, he joined his theatre company. Following a stint there, he joined National School of Drama in 1976, after his brother Ranjit Kapoor, who was already a student there insisted. After graduating from the National School Of Drama and a brief stint with its repertory company, in 1981, he played a 70-year-old man in the play Ek Ruka Hua Faisla in Bombay (now Mumbai). Film director Shyam Benegal who saw Kapoor perform, sent him a letter of appreciation and signed him for his 1983 film, Mandi.
Kapoor began his career as a stage actor in 1979 and was noticed in 1984's Ek Ruka Hua Faisla, directed by Basu Chatterjee and written by elder brother Ranjeet. Annu made his film debut in Mandi, (directed by Shyam Benegal) in 1983. His career has spanned over 30 years, including Bollywood cinema, television serials and game shows. Kapoor is best remembered for hosting the singing show Close-Up Antakshari, produced by Zee TV. His performance as an obsessive-compulsive sperm-bank physician in 2012's Vicky Donor met with critical and popular acclaim. He worked in the horror TV serial Kile ka Rahasya (1989) as a cop who fond of singing. Kapoor has also appeared in Yamla Pagla Deewana 2.
In 2007, Antakshari – The National Challenge was relaunched on Star One. The previous year, its "final" episode was telecast; the programme's initial run was from 1993 to 2006. His range of roles varies from portrayal as Saint Kabir in DD National TV serial of the same name, as Mahatma Gandhi in Sardar and Veer Savarkar in Kaala Pani, to police inspector in 7 Khoon Maaf, a petty thief in Utsav to comedic villain in Hum.
The Golden Era – With Annu Kapoor on the Mastiii channel is a nostalgia TV show about Indian cinema, adorned with classical era's Hindi film songs and commentary by Annu Kapoor on unheard tales of Bollywood Cinema's Legends.
Currently, he does a radio programme on 92.7 Big FM called "Suhaana Safar with Annu Kapoor on 92.7 Big FM". It's a daily show that features nationally on the radio networks covering all Hindi speaking radio stations across the country. He recreates the magic of the Golden era with unforgettable melodies of that era and untold stories of the stars and films of the Hindi Cinema. The show comes with the tagline "Filmy Duniya Ki Kahi Ankahi Kahaniya".
Kapoor's entire family is associated with art and patriotism. His mother, Kamal Shabnam Kapoor, was a poet, teacher and scholar of Urdu, Arabic and Persian. Kapoor has promoted India's positive aspects in his programmes. Kapoor's sister Seema Kapoor, was married to actor Om Puri.  
His elder brother, Ranjit, is a director and screenwriter and his sister, Seema, is a producer and actor. Kapoor's younger brother, Nikhil, is a writer and lyricist. Annu has four children (three sons— Kavan, Maahir and Evaan—and a daughter, Aradhita) from two marriages. His wife, Anupama, is American by birth.
He changed his name from Anil Kapoor to Annu Kapoor to avoid confusion with the hero of the film Anil Kapoor, while acting in Tezaab .
Kapoor has directed several plays. He also directed a feature film Abhay (The Fearless), starring Nana Patekar, Moon Sen and Benjamin Gilani) for the Children's Film Society, India. The film won the 1994 National Film Award for Best Children's Film.
Kapoor produced a musical talent contest for children (Aao Jhoomein Gaayen for SAB TV) and a Bengali-language musical talent-hunt show, Gaan Gaao Taaka Naao on Rupashi Bangla TV in Kolkata. He also produced a musical in Mathura entitled Ek Sunhari Shyam.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2019||Dream Girl||Jagjeet Singh|
|2019||Khandaani Shafakhana||Baby’s uncle|||
|2019||The Fakir of Venice||Sattar|
|2018||Mangal Ho||Gyanii Jail Singh|
|2018||Home||Mr. Sethi||web series streaming on ALT Balaji|
|2018||Ba Baa Black Sheep||Brian Morris/Santa Claus|
|2017||Jolly LLB 2||Adv. Pramod Mathur|
|2015||Dharam Sankat Mein||Adv. Nawab Mehmood Shah|
|2015||Miss Tanakpur Haazir Ho||Sualaal Gandass|
|2014||Kisi Ne Titli Ko Dekha Hai Kya|
|2014||Jai Ho Democracy|
|2013||Yamla Pagla Deewana 2||Sir Yograj Khanna|
|2012||Vicky Donor||Dr. Baldev Chaddha||Screen Award for Best Comedian |
Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor
Apsara Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Apsara Award for Best Actor in a Comic Role
National Film Award for Best Supporting Actor
IIFA Award for Best Supporting Actor
TOIFA Award 2013 for Best Supporting Actor
|2012||Gali Gali Chor Hai|
|2011||7 Khoon Maaf||Inspector Keemat Lal|
|2004||Aitraaz||Barrister Ram Chauthrani|
|2004||Kuch To Gadbad Hai||Justice Balwant Khanna|
|2002||Om Jai Jagadish||KK|
|2002||Hum Kisise Kum Nahin||Munnu Mobile|
|2000||Tune Mera Dil Le Liyaa||K.K.'s assistant|
|1996||Kala Pani||Vinayak Damodar Savarkar||Malayalam Film|
|1993||Darr||Vikram "Vicky" Oberoi|
|1993||Waqt Hamara Hai||Cafeteria supervisor|
|1993||Sardar||Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi|
|1993||Dil Ki Baazi||Bihari Daulatram's cook|
|1993||Shreemaan Aashique||Masterji (song "Is Se Jyada Dukh Na Koi")|
|1992||Jeena Marna Tere Sang|
|1991||Hum||Havaldar Arjun Singh|
|1991||Jamai Raja||Paltu/I.C. Mishra|
|1990||Aawaz De Kahan Hai||Hariya (AKA Harry)|
|1990||Veeru Dada||Ibrahim Gharewali|
|1989||ChaalBaaz||Daya Tribhuvan's servant|
|1989||Main Azaad Hoon||Munna|
|1989||Ram Lakhan||Shiv Charan Mathur|
|1988||The Perfect Murder||Tiny man|
|1988||Gunahon Ka Faisla||Dinu|
|1988||Khoon Bahaa Ganga Mein|
|1988||Tezaab||Abbas Ali Guldasta|
|1987||Mr. India||Mr. Gaitonde (editor)|
|1986||Chameli Ki Shaadi||Chhadami Lal|
|1986||Ek Ruka Hua Faisla||Juror #9|
|1984||Utsav||Masseur||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Comic Role|
|Darpan (two stories)||Basu Chatterji|
|Satya Ray Presents (one story)||Satyajit Ray|
|Param Vir Chakra||Chetan Anand|
|Quile Ka Rahasya||Seema Kapoor|
|Close Up Antakshari||Gajendra Singh|
|Chekhov Ki Duniya (one story)||Ranjit Kapoor|
|Idea Jalsa||By Durga Jasraj|
|Wheel Smart Shrimati||For Doordarshan|
|Junoon Kuch Kar Dikhane Ka||Gajendra Singh|
|Ek Se Badkar Ek||Chota Packet|
|Bada Dhamaka||Ki Funshala|
|Golden Era With Annu Kapoor||Mastiii|
|Itihaas Gavah Hai(Voice Over)||News24|
|Show||Radio Station Name|
|Suhaana Safar With Annu Kapoor||92.7 Big FM|
- Parsi theatre
- Laila Majnu
- Bhakta Prahlad
- Shree Krishna Avtar
- Dahi Wali
- Modern plays
- Antim Yatra: Directed by Barry John
- Three Sisters: Written by Anton Chekhov, directed by E. Alkazi
- The Great God Brown by Eugene O'Neill
- The Zoo Story by Edward Albee
- Ek Ruka Hua Faisla
- "Annu Kapoor's name was Anil Kapoor! – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Tripathi, Shailaja (9 April 2016). "Master raconteur". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "Birthday Special: अन्नू कपूर का असली नाम है अनिल कपूर, 4 की जगह 10 हजार का चैक मिला तो बदलना पड़ा नाम". www.patrika.com (in Hindi). Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "Do You Know: Annu Kapoor's real name is Anil Kapoor & he got Anil's fees in Mashaal! – Filmy Fenil". Filmy Fenil. 29 August 2016. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "Annu Kapoor's Biography". koimoi.com. Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- "Annu Kapoor: I would rather die than cheat my wife". The Times of India. 1 November 2014. Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- "Vicky Donor – The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- The Golden Era with Annu Kapoor, Montage on Vimeo
- "Om Puri to star in his first wife Seema Kapoor's film". mid-day. 31 August 2016.
- "It was painful to see my sister suffer: Annu Kapoor - Times of India". The Times of India.
- ABHAY (The Fearless) Children's Film Society India
- "60th National Film Awards Announced" (PDF) (Press release). Press Information Bureau (PIB), India. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "#Chehre launch photo... Teams Amitabh Bachchan and Emraan Hashmi for the first time... Costars Kriti Kharbanda, Rhea Chakraborty, Siddhanth Kapoor, Dhritiman Chatterjee, Raghubir Yadav and Annu Kapoor". Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- "Sonakshi Sinha, Varun Sharma, Annu Kapoor and singer Badshah [makes his acting debut]... Titled confirmed: #KhandaaniShafakhana... Release date finalized: 26 July 2019... Directed by Shilpi Dasgupta... Produced by Bhushan Kumar, Mrighdeep Singh Lamba and Mahaveer Jain". Twitter. Taran Adarsh. Retrieved 11 June 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Annu Kapoor.|
- Annu Kapoor on IMDb