Anne of Gloucester
Anne of Gloucester, Countess of Stafford (30 April 1383 – 16 October 1438) was the eldest daughter of Thomas of Woodstock, Duke of Gloucester, and Eleanor de Bohun.
|Anne of Gloucester|
|Countess of Stafford|
Countess of Eu
|Born||30 April 1383|
|Died||16 October 1438 55) (aged|
Thomas Stafford, 3rd Earl of Stafford
(m. 1390; his death 1392)
Edmund Stafford, 5th Earl of Stafford
(m. 1398; his death 1403)
William Bourchier, Count of Eu
(m. 1405; his death 1420)
|Issue||Humphrey Stafford, 1st Duke of Buckingham|
Anne Stafford, Countess of March
Henry Bourchier, 1st Earl of Essex
Eleanor Mowbray, Duchess of Norfolk
William Bourchier, 9th Baron FitzWarin
Cardinal Thomas Bourchier
John Bourchier, 1st Baron Berners
|Father||Thomas of Woodstock, 1st Duke of Gloucester|
|Mother||Eleanor de Bohun|
Her father was the youngest son of Edward III of England and Philippa of Hainault. Her mother was Eleanor de Bohun, the daughter of Humphrey de Bohun, 7th Earl of Hereford, and Joan Fitzalan. Her mother was also a great-great-granddaughter of Edward I.
Marriage with Thomas Stafford, 3rd Earl of Stafford
Anne married three times. Her first marriage was to Thomas Stafford, 3rd Earl of Stafford (1368 - 4 July 1392), and took place around 1390. The couple had no children. After her husband's death, Anne married his younger brother Edmund.
Issue of Anne and Edmund Stafford, 5th Earl of Stafford
On 28 June 1398, Anne married Edmund Stafford, 5th Earl of Stafford (2 March 1378 – 21 July 1403). They had three children together:
- Humphrey Stafford, 1st Duke of Buckingham, who married his second cousin, Anne, daughter of Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland, and Joan Beaufort, Countess of Westmorland. Joan was a daughter of John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster, and his third wife Katherine Swynford.
- Anne Stafford, Countess of March, who married Edmund Mortimer, 5th Earl of March. Edmund was a great-grandson of Lionel of Antwerp, 1st Duke of Clarence. Edmund and Anne had no children. She married secondly John Holland, 2nd Duke of Exeter (d. 1447), and had one son, Henry Holland, 3rd Duke of Exeter (d. 1475), and a daughter Anne, who married John Neville, 1st Baron Neville de Raby.
- Philippa Stafford, died young
Issue of Anne and William Bourchier, Count of Eu
In about 1405, Anne married William Bourchier, 1st Count of Eu (d. 1420), son of Sir William Bourchier and Eleanor of Louvain, by whom she had the following children:
- Henry Bourchier, Earl of Essex. He married Isabel of Cambridge, daughter of Richard of Conisburgh, 3rd Earl of Cambridge, and Anne de Mortimer. Isabel was also an older sister of Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York.
- Eleanor Bourchier, Duchess of Norfolk, married John Mowbray, 3rd Duke of Norfolk
- William Bourchier, 9th Baron FitzWarin
- Cardinal Thomas Bourchier
- John Bourchier, Baron Berners. John was the grandfather of John, Lord Berners, the translator of Froissart
|Ancestors of Anne of Gloucester|
- The Complete Peerage, sourced from Camden, 3rd series, Vol.57, pp.258-260 (1937)
- Rawcliffe, Carole (2008). "Anne of Woodstock, countess of Stafford (c. 1382–1438), noblewoman". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online). doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/54430. Archived from the original on 7 February 2019.
- The Plantagenet Family
- http://www.tribalpages.com/tribes/royalancestralc%5B%5D Royal Ancestors of Lady Shirley
- The Stafford Family
- The Bourchier Family