Animation departments (or animation production departments) are the teams within a film studio that work on various aspects of animation such as storyboarding or 3D modeling. It can refer to a single department that handles animation as a whole or to multiple departments that handle specific tasks. It can also refer to a college department.
• Retake department - looks for mistakes in animation and has it redone. An animator will check all frames one by one in order to ensure they flow smoothly.
• Editing department - compiles and edits the animation (either in part or in its entirety) so that it is consistent
• Background department - draws the background art for scenes
• Storyboard department - plans out the animation using sketches of its main points (a storyboard)
• Scanning department - converts traditionally-drawn media to digital and ensures frames aren't lost in the process
• Sound effects and musical scoring department - creates soundtracks and sound effects, such as with choirs, instruments, and Foley.
• Layout department - stages scenes and creates plans for how a scene should look
- Animation Job Roles, Creative Skillset