Angela Galea (born May 5, 1983) is a Maltese former swimmer, who specialized in butterfly events. She is a two-time Olympian (2000 and 2004), a three-time champion at the Games of the Small States of Europe (GSSE), and a multiple-time Maltese record holder in both freestyle and butterfly (50, 100, and 200 m). In preparation for her Games, she was trained for the Italian Olympic team, under the guidance of head coach Maurizio Cocconi.
|Full name||Angela Galea|
|Born||5 May 1983|
|Height||1.67 m (5 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||58 kg (128 lb)|
Galea made her first Maltese team, as a 17-year-old teen, at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. Swimming in heat one of the women's 100 m butterfly, she posted a Maltese record of 1:07.88 to pick up a second seed and forty-sixth overall against Swaziland's Lisa de la Motte and Micronesia's Tracy Ann Route.
At the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Galea qualified again for the 100 m butterfly by receiving a Universality place from FINA. She lowered a Maltese record and posted her entry time of 1:03.62 from GSSE in Valletta, held a year before the Olympics. She participated in the same heat as Sydney against five other swimmers, including 16-year-old Kateryna Zubkova of Ukraine. Despite of good recovery in the last 50 metres, Galea came up short in fourth place with a time of 1:05.47, just a 3.25-second margin behind winner Zubkova. Galea failed to advance into the semifinals, as she placed thirty-sixth overall on the first day of preliminaries.
- "Seven athletes for Athens Olympic Games". Malta Media. 21 July 2004. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Angela Galea". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "Sydney 2000: Swimming – Women's 100m Butterfly Heat 1" (PDF). Sydney 2000. LA84 Foundation. p. 224. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 August 2011. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- Newberry, Paul (16 September 2000). "Thompson anchors U.S. relay win; Thorpe wins 400 free". Canoe.ca. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Swimming – Women's 100m Butterfly Startlist (Heat 1)" (PDF). Athens 2004. Omega Timing. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "No records for Maltese swimmers in Athens". The Times (Malta). 15 August 2004. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "Women's 100m Butterfly Heat 1". Athens 2004. BBC Sport. 14 August 2004. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- Thomas, Stephen (14 August 2004). "Women's 100 Butterfly Prelims: Petria Thomas Fastest Through to Semis – One Full Second Ahead of Inky". Swimming World Magazine. Archived from the original on 28 December 2013. Retrieved 19 April 2013.