Andrew York (guitarist)
Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.
|Labels||Majian Music, Telarc, Sony, Delos, GSP|
|Associated acts||Los Angeles Guitar Quartet|
York was born in 1958 in Atlanta, Georgia and grew up in Virginia. He received degrees from James Madison University in Virginia and the University of Southern California. He studied in Spain, where he met classical guitarist John Williams. Williams has performed and recorded compositions by York. In 1989, York released his debut solo album, Perfect Sky (Timeless, 1989). He was a member of the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet until 2006.
He played lute with the USC Early Music Ensemble. In addition to his solo career, recording and performing his own compositions, York's recent collaborations include projects with Andy Summers, W. A. Mathieu, Dai Kimura, and Mitsuko Kado. York's tour schedule has included concerts in thirty countries. York's compositions and arrangements for guitar have been performed and recorded by guitarists John Williams, Christopher Parkening, Karin Schaupp and Sharon Isbin.
York has over 50 works published for guitar: solo, duo, trio, quartet, and ensemble. He has appeared in three DVDs, has recorded or appeared as soloist on more than ten albums, and has published a three-volume work on jazz for classical guitarists. York has played on ten recordings with the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet, including the Grammy Award-winning Guitar Heroes (2004). His solo albums include: Perfect Sky (1986), Dénouement (1994), Into Dark (1997), California Breeze (2006), Hauser Sessions (2007), Yamour (2012), Home (2018) and The Equations of Beauty (2018). He also released five band tracks, Lotus Eaters, Stratojee and Land Below Waves, in 2018, and DissFunkShun and Pay the Piper, in 2019.
Andrew York is a member of the Triple Nine Society and his article Bowling Balls and Binary Switches was published in their journal Vidya in December 2016. Andrew became a voting member at Recording Academy / GRAMMYs in 2018.
Regarding Dénouement, Jim Ferguson stated that the five original suites that make up the recording "demonstrate [York's] exceptional compositional breadth, commanding instrumental abilities, and rich tone. Rife with folk, jazz, and ancient influences, the material ranges from challenging to simple yet highly musical."
- Perfect Sky (1986)
- Dénouement (1994)
- Into Dark (1997)
- Hauser Sessions (2007)
- Centerpeace (2010)
- Yamour (2012)
- Home (2018)
- The Equations of Beauty (2018)
- Silent Night (2019)
- Lotus Eaters (2018)
- Stratojee (2018)
- Land Below Waves (2018)
- DissFunkShun (2019)
- Pay the Piper (2019)
- Guitar Recital
- Dances from Renaissance to Nutcracker
- Evening in Granada
- Labyrinth (LAGQ album)
- For Thy Pleasure
- The Best of LAGQ
- Air and Ground
- LAGQ: Latin
- Guitar Heroes
- Spin (LAGQ album)
- Windham Hill Records: Guitar Sampler (1988)
- Legends of Guitar (Rhino, 1991)
- An Evening with International Guitar Night with Guinga, Brian Gore, and Pierre Bensusan (Favored Nations, 2004)
- Contemporary Classic Guitar
- LAGQ Live!
- Primal Twang
- Jazz for Classical Cats I: Harmony (method book w/CD)
- Jazz for Classical Cats II: Chord/Melody (method book w/CD)
- Jazz for Classical Cats III: Improvisation (method book w/CD)
- "Andrew York". GRAMMY.com. 2018-05-22. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- Morgan, L. "News - Andrew York Interview". Fingerstyle Guitarists. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- Cummings, Robert. "Andrew York | Biography & History | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- Andrew York
- "Karin Schaupp: Leyenda". www.pertout.com. Retrieved 2017-10-28.
- Andrew York's article "Bowling Balls and Binary Switches" in Triple Nine Society's journal "Vidya".
- "Andrew York GRAMMY". andrewyork.net. Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- Denouement CD review by Jim Ferguson, Guitar Player Magazine, July 1994.
- Complete Discography