Andrew Shulman (born 1960 in London, England) is an English cellist, conductor and composer. He is currently the principal cellist of the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra. as well as being Professor of Cello at the University of Southern California's Thornton School of Music in Los Angeles, California.
He was formerly principal cellist of the Philharmonia Orchestra, the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. He was appointed principal cello of London's Philharmonia at the age of 22 by Riccardo Muti. In 1989 he became the first British cellist to win the United States New England Conservatory/Piatigorsky Artist Award
He has performed cello concertos with the City of Birmingham Symphony, Utah Symphony, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, the Philharmonia, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the Gothenburg Symphony and the Singapore Symphony.
He also performed the Haydn D major, Tchaikovsky Rococo Variations and Strauss' Don Quixote at the Royal Festival Hall (with Sir Simon Rattle, broadcast live on the BBC) and the Hollywood Bowl (with Esa-Pekka Salonen).
He was the first Briton to win the New England Conservatory/Piatigorsky Artist Award, in 1990. He won the major cello prizes at the Royal College of Music and won the Suggia gift and two Countess of Munster Awards.
He has recorded 26 CDs with the Britten Quartet (EMI and Collins) and has made solo recordings for Virgin (Vivaldi) and EMI (Janáček). He made a world premiere recording of Frederick Delius's complete cello works, and was solo cello on Elton John's Candle in the Wind 1997. Shulman has also arranged and recorded for American post-punk revival band Louis XIV and has been featured on their last three albums.
As conductor, he has performed in Europe and the USA and has conducted the world premieres of several major works, as well as collaborating with some notable soloists, including Rafael Wallfisch, Colin Carr and Bernard d'Ascoli. He was invited by the Britten-Pears Foundation to conduct the first performance of an important early work by Benjamin Britten, with the Britten-Pears Orchestra at Britten's Snape Maltings in Suffolk, England. He has conducted the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, the Saloman Orchestra, the Brandon Hill Chamber Orchestra, The Jonkoping Orchestra, the Ambache Chamber Orchestra, the Peninsula Symphony Orchestra, the Leicester Symphony Orchestra, the Royal College of Music Symphony Orchestra, the Royal College of Music Chamber Orchestra, the Ulster Youth Orchestra, the Guildhall School of Music Chamber Orchestra and the Hertfordshire Symphony Orchestra.
Shulman also composes, and recently premiered his Smaller Music For Strings in the UK, as well as collaborating with the German rock guitarist Uli Jon Roth in performances in Hollywood. His electric cello rock instrumental H.A.N.D was a winner in the International Songwriting Competition of 2007.
Shulman studied cello with Amaryllis Fleming, Joan Dickson and William Pleeth. He received an 'Honorary RCM' from The Queen Mother in 1986, and subsequently became a professor at the Royal College of Music. He has given masterclasses in Europe, Scandinavia, Russia, the Ukraine, the USA, South America, the Far East and New Zealand.
After winning the New England Conservatory/Piatigorsky Artist Award in Boston, he returned to the USA to teach and give concerts. Now residing in Los Angeles, he has given masterclasses at The Corwin Awards, USC, UCLA and The Aspen Music Festival. He is a regular guest artist at the La Jolla Summerfest, Aspen, Las Vegas and Mainly Mozart summer music festivals, and last season recorded three new cello concertos written for him. These were written by Christopher Stone, Nathaniel Levisay and Maria Newman. He has premiered new sonatas and concertos by Broughton and Zigman and next season he premieres James Newton Howard's cello concerto with the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra.
- "an interview with andrew shulman, part 2". instantencore.com. Archived from the original on 18 October 2016. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "artists – Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra". laco.org. Archived from the original on 24 July 2016. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "Andrew Shulman – Cellist and Conductor". andrewshulman.com. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "Calendar Live – Help Wanted: Elite Musicians". andrewshulman.com. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- . CBSi http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20041113/ai_n11482653. Retrieved 15 October 2016 – via findarticles.com. Missing or empty
- H.A.N.D Archived 4 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "International Songwriting Competition". Archived from the original on 23 April 2009.
- . Aspen Music Festival https://web.archive.org/web/20120210065748/http://www.aspenmusicfestival.com/index.cfm?method=c.bio&bioID=860. Archived from the original on 10 February 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2016. Missing or empty
- "Christopher L. Stone". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "Nathaniel Levisay". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "Maria Newman". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 15 October 2016.