Andrew Dunn (actor)
Andrew Dunn (born 12 April 1957) is an English actor, best known for the role of Tony in the BBC sitcom Dinnerladies between 1998 and 2000. He later played Roger Stiles in Coronation Street from 2007 to 2008. He was born in Leeds, West Riding of Yorkshire, but was brought up in North Shields, eight miles (13 km) east of Newcastle upon Tyne, before leaving for London at the age of 20. He trained as a teacher but decided he wanted to act. He later moved to York where he resides to this day.
He was born in Leeds, but then the family moved to North Shields when he was nine. He attended Whitehouse Primary School and then Marden High School in Cullercoats, and then Tynemouth Sixth Form College, where he became interested in drama.
Dunn has appeared in numerous television series including perhaps his best known role to date, as Tony in Dinnerladies. In addition he has also appeared in The Bill, Holby City, 55 Degrees North, Heartbeat, and Coronation Street in 2003. He had a lead role playing Hardy in the British feature film Between Two Women (2000) and also appeared in the British feature film The Jealous God (2005).
In December 2006 he rejoined the cast of Coronation Street as Roger Stiles, a plumber and new love interest for Janice Battersby. On 29 September 2008 it was announced he was the latest character to be axed from Corrie and he made his final appearance on 8 October 2008.
From 1999 until at least 2006, Dunn played the recurring role of Alastair Campbell in the political satire, Bremner, Bird & Fortune. Dunn reprised his role as Alastair Campbell in the BBC Radio 4 play The Iraq Dossier, written by David Morley, which was broadcast on 2 March 2013.
Dunn received an honorary degree of letters from York St John University on 13 November 2009.
Dunn appeared in the BBC series, Doctors, 24 March 2011. He played Owain Brumpton. In September 2014, Dunn will begin playing the role of Gerald in the touring production of The Full Monty.
- Dinnerladies - 2009, stage adaptation of the popular BBC sitcom, York Theatre Royal and the Darlington Civic Theatre
- 'Art' - 2006, York Theatre Royal
- iShandy - 2013, York Theatre Royal
- The Railway Children - 2015, Kings Cross Theatre
- Doctors (2011) as Owain Brumpton
- Law & Order: UK (2010) as Martin Douglas
- My Family (2009) as Captin of the Menaces Darts team, Martin
- Coronation Street (2003 & 2006) latterly as Roger Stiles, Janice's boyfriend
- Cake (BBC TV, 2006) Part of Brief Encounters Season
- Dalziel & Pascoe (BBC TV, 2006)
- Blue Murder (2005)
- 55 Degrees North (2004–2005, Regular, Series 1&2)
- Gifted (TV, 2003)
- No Angels (2003)
- Midsomer Murders The Green Man (2003)
- Bremner, Bird and Fortune (2002 as Alistair Campbell)
- Dinnerladies (1998–2000) as Tony Martin: two series
- The Knock (1994-1999) as Kevin Butcher (27 episodes)
- The Ritz (1987) as Skodge
- "Dinnerladies actor Andrew Dunn - exclusive interview". northeastlifemag.co.uk. 20 February 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- "Dinnerladies star joins Corrie Archived October 11, 2007, at the Wayback Machine"
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-03-27. Retrieved 2009-03-26.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Casting Announced for U.K. Tour of Simon Beaufoy's Play Version of The Full Monty". playbill.com. Playbill. 9 May 2014. Archived from the original on 12 May 2014. Retrieved 9 May 2014.