Andrei Igorevich Svechnikov (Russian: Андрей Игоревич Свечников, IPA: [ɐnˈdrʲej ˈiɡərʲɪvʲɪtɕ ˈsvʲet͡ɕnʲɪkəf]; born 26 March 2000) is a Russian professional ice hockey winger currently playing for the Carolina Hurricanes of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was projected as a top pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, where he was drafted second overall by the Hurricanes.
Svechnikov at the 2016 Winter Youth Olympics
26 March 2000|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||187 lb (85 kg; 13 st 5 lb)|
|NHL team||Carolina Hurricanes|
2nd overall, 2018|
Svechnikov began his junior career in North America with the Muskegon Lumberjacks of the United States Hockey League (USHL). He signed a tender with the Lumberjacks in May 2016, due in part to proximity to his brother's American Hockey League (AHL) team in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Svechnikov had immediate success with the Lumberjacks, emerging as the team's leading scorer and finishing sixth in league scoring. He was named to the All-USHL Team and was declared USHL Rookie of the Year.
Svechnikov was selected first overall in the 2017 CHL Import Draft by the Ontario Hockey League (OHL)'s Barrie Colts. Prior to the start of the season, he was highly regarded as a top prospect and was seen as a candidate for first overall. Svechnikov won the Emms Family Award as OHL Rookie of the Year. At the end of the season, he was ranked the top-ranked North American skater by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau, described as an elite skater and finisher.
At the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes selected Svechnikov second overall. On 1 July 2018, he signed a three-year, entry-level contract with Carolina. He made his NHL debut on 4 October against the New York Islanders, and recorded his first NHL goal on 7 October in an 8–5 win over the New York Rangers, becoming the first player born in the 2000s to score an NHL goal. On 29 October 2019, Svechnikov become the first NHL player to score a “Michigan” goal, where one lifts the puck on their stick to score a lacrosse-style goal.
Regular season and playoffs
Awards and honours
|First All-Star Team||2017|
|Rookie of the Year||2017|
|Emms Family Award (OHL Rookie of the Year)||2017–18|
- "2018 NHL Draft Rankings: HockeyProspect.com's Early Top 31 - HockeyProspect.com". www.hockeyprospect.com. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- USHL (1 May 2016). "Andrei Svechnikov signs tender with Muskegon Lumberjacks". USHL. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "All in the Svechnikov Family". Winging It in Motown. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "Svechnikov to sign with Barrie of Ontario Hockey League". NHL.com. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Svechnikov stays No. 1 in Central Scouting final rankings". NHL.com. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- "Canes sign Svechnikov to entry-level contract". Carolina Hurricanes. 1 July 2018. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- Dusterberg, Kurt (4 October 2018). "Islanders win Trotz debut in OT against Hurricanes". NHL.com. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Psihogios, Steven (8 October 2018). "Hurricanes' Andrei Svechnikov becomes first NHL player born in 2000s to score". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 24 November 2018.
- Pickens, Pat (29 October 2019). "Svechnikov converts lacrosse-style goal in Hurricanes win against Flames". nhl.com. Retrieved 12 November 2019.
- "Young Russian hockey star Andrei Svechnikov – and his mother – are loving their stay in Muskegon". Local Sports Journal. 16 November 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- Biographical information and career statistics from NHL.com, or Eliteprospects.com, or Eurohockey.com, or Hockey-Reference.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
| Carolina Hurricanes first round draft pick