Village and former municipality
Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 52.75°N 5.22°E|
|• Total||47.69 km2 (18.41 sq mi)|
|• Land||21.21 km2 (8.19 sq mi)|
|• Water||26.49 km2 (10.23 sq mi)|
(1 January, 2007)
|• Density||310/km2 (800/sq mi)|
|Source: CBS, Statline.|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The name Andijk comes from the Dutch "aan de dijk", which translates into English as "at the dike". In 1667, a small church was built. During the French Napoleonic occupation, Andijk became an independent municipality on 1 January 1812 by imperial decree of 21 October 1811 .
Andijk has fertile clay soil with agriculture and vegetable horticulture. Andijk is also an important supplier of drinking water for the region. The 40 ha size test polder, which was made in 1926-1927 in the Zuiderzee as a test run for making the Wieringermeer polder, is located at Andijk. The polder used for recreation, including facilities for overnight stays, such as several camp-sites, two hunting points, and a beach.
The last municipal council of Andijk consisted of 13 seats, which were divided as follows:
Bus service 132 operates hourly through Andijk at roughly xx.30 each hour during the day. Use the bus to Hoorn NS (Hoorn railway station) which takes 45 minutes and connects with trains at Hoorn railway station. See to plan your journey from Hoorn.
A trail of 40 hectares, the Pilot Polder Andijk was built in 1926, 1927 and is reclaimed from the Zuiderzee. Now, this area serves as a residential area. This polder is important for the city, it is cited in its anthem.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Andijk.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Andijk.|