Anatole Abragam (December 15, 1914 – June 8, 2011) was a French physicist who wrote The Principles of Nuclear Magnetism and made significant contributions to the field of nuclear magnetic resonance. Originally from Griva, Courland Governorate, Russian Empire, Abragam and his family emigrated to France in 1925.
|Born||December 15, 1914|
Griva, Courland Governorate, Russian Empire
|Died||June 8, 2011 96) (aged|
|Alma mater||University of Paris|
University of Oxford (Ph.D)
|Known for||The Principles of Nuclear Magnetism|
|Awards||Lorentz Medal (1982)|
Matteucci Medal (1992)
Lomonosov Gold Medal (1995)
After being educated at the University of Paris, (1933–1936), he served in the Second World War. After the war, he resumed his studies at the École Supérieure d'Électricité and subsequently obtained his Ph.D. from the University of Oxford in 1950 under the supervision of Maurice Pryce.
Career and research
Awards and honours
He was awarded the Lorentz Medal in 1982. Abragam was elected a Foreign Honorary Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1974. He was elected a Foreign Member of the Royal Society (ForMemRS) in 1983.
- Abragam, Anatole (1961). The Principles of Nuclear Magnetism. Clarendon Press. p. 599. OCLC 242700.
- Abragam A & Bleaney B. Electron paramagnetic resonance of transition ions. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 1970.
- Abragam, Anatole (1989). Time Reversal, an autobiography [De la physique avant toute chose (title of the Fr. original)]. Oxford University Press. OCLC 18989324.
- http://triangledelaphysique.fr/code_6nfp4c89vh Archived 2011-08-31 at the Wayback Machine (French)
- http://iramis.cea.fr/Phocea/Vie_des_labos/News/index.php?id_news=4524 (French)
- "Abragam, Anatole". Who Was Who in America, 1993–1996, vol. 11. New Providence, N.J.: Marquis Who's Who. 1996. p. 1. ISBN 0837902258.
- "Abragam, Anatole (1914-) -- from Eric Weisstein's World of Scientific Biography".
- Goldman, Maurice (2017). "Anatole Abragam. 15 December 1914 — 8 June 2011". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 63: 7–21. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2017.0026. ISSN 0080-4606.
- Weisstein, Eric Wolfgang (ed.). "Abragam, Anatole (1914-)". ScienceWorld.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-05-31. Retrieved 2010-06-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-10-19. Retrieved 2009-02-04.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter A" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 20 March 2011.