The Amethyst-class corvettes were the last wooden warships built at a royal dockyard. Built in the early 1870s, they mostly served overseas and were retired early as they were regarded as hopelessly obsolete by the late 1880s.
|Builders:||Devonport Dockyard, Sheerness Dockyard|
|Preceded by:||Volage class|
|Succeeded by:||HMS Rover|
|General characteristics (as built)|
|Type:||Wooden screw corvette|
|Displacement:||1,934 long tons (1,965 t)|
|Tons burthen:||1,405 bm|
|Length:||220 ft (67.1 m) (p/p)|
|Beam:||37 ft (11.3 m)|
|Draught:||18 ft (5.5 m)|
|Installed power:||2,031–2,364 ihp (1,515–1,763 kW)|
|Sail plan:||Ship rig|
|Speed:||12–13 knots (22–24 km/h; 14–15 mph)|
|Range:||2,060–2,500 nmi (3,820–4,630 km; 2,370–2,880 mi) at 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph)|
|Armament:||14 × 64-pounder 71-cwt or 64-cwt rifled muzzle-loading (RML) guns|
|Amethyst||Devonport Dockyard||28 July 1871||19 April 1873||July 1873||Sold for scrap, November 1887||N/A|
|Diamond||Sheerness Dockyard||1873||26 August 1873||July 1875||Sold for scrap August 1889||£76,796|
|Encounter||Sheerness Dockyard||19 June 1871||1 January 1873||July 1873||Sold for scrap October 1888||£63,098|
|Modeste||Devonport Dockyard||27 November 1871||23 May 1873||January 1874||Sold for scrap, 8 January 1888||N/A|
|Sapphire||Devonport Dockyard||17 June 1873||24 September 1874||August 1875||Sold for scrap, 24 September 1892||£78,297|
- Chesneau & Kolesnik, p. 51
- Lyon & Winfield, p. 288
- Brassey 1888, p. 288.
- Ballard, G. A. (1937). "British Corvettes of 1875: The Last Wooden Class". Mariner's Mirror. Cambridge, UK: Society for Nautical Research. 23 (October): 435–45.
- Chesneau, Roger & Kolesnik, Eugene M., eds. (1979). Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1860–1905. Greenwich, UK: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-8317-0302-4.
- Brassey, T. A. (1888). The Naval Annual 1887. London: J Griffin and Co.
- Winfield, R.; Lyon, D. (2004). The Sail and Steam Navy List: All the Ships of the Royal Navy 1815–1889. London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-032-6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amethyst class corvette.|