Ambush (1950 film)
Ambush is a 1950 western film directed by Sam Wood and starring Robert Taylor, John Hodiak and Arlene Dahl. The plot is based on the serial story Ambush by Luke Short in The Saturday Evening Post (25 Dec 1948–12 Feb 1949). It is also the first MGM film in the 1950s'.
|Directed by||Sam Wood|
|Produced by||Armand Deutsch, Sam Wood|
|Screenplay by||Marguerite Roberts|
1948 serial story
by Luke Short
|Music by||Rudolph G. Kopp|
|Edited by||Ben Lewis|
|Distributed by||Loew's Inc.|
|January 13, 1950|
The movie was filmed on location at the Corriganville Ranch in Simi Valley, California, home of hundreds of western movies and television shows through the decades as well as such outdoor action films as The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) and Jungle Jim (1948). Additional location work for the film took place in and around Gallup, New Mexico.
Setting out on the trail with a few cavalrymen and Ann Duverall (Arlene Dahl), Mary’s sister, they come across an Apache encampment. Ward learns from an Apache woman that Mary has been taken by an Apache called Diablito. Returning to the cavalry fort with Tana, a captive Apache, preparations are made for a full-scale expedition to find Diablito.
Captain Lorrison (John Hodiak) proposes to Ann. Ann tells Ward that she has accepted his marriage proposal, but Ward persuades her that she is in love with him.
The expedition sets off. Tana tries a double-cross and Ward kills him in self-defence. Eventually the trackers come across Diablito’s camp and stampede the horses. A gun battle ensues. A cavalry re-enforcement column arrives and routs the band of Indians. Ward rescues Mary. Lorrison sets off in pursuit of the escaping Apache, but he is ambushed and killed. Mary and Ann are re-united back at the fort.
- Robert Taylor as Ward Kinsman
- Arlene Dahl as Ann Duverall
- John Hodiak as Capt. Ben Lorrison
- Don Taylor as Lt. Linus Delaney
- Jean Hagen as Martha Conovan
- Bruce Cowling as Tom Conovan
- Leon Ames as Maj. Breverly
- John McIntire as Frank Holly
- Pat Moriarity as Sgt. Mack
- Charles Stevens as Diablito
- Chief Thundercloud as Tana
- Ray Teal as Capt. Wolverson
- Ambush at the American Film Institute Catalog
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.