The Amboni Caves are the most extensive limestone caves in East Africa. They are located 8 km north of Tanga City in Tanzania off the Tanga-Mombasa road. The caves were formed about 150 million years ago during the Jurassic age. It covers an area of 234 km². According to researchers the area was under water some 20 million years ago. There are altogether ten caves but only one is used for guided tours.
|Mapango ya Amboni (Swahili)|
|Length||900 metres (3,000 ft)|
|Visitors||c. 70 per day|
Amboni Limited, a company which was then operating sisal plantations in Tanga Region acquired the area in 1892. The company notified the British colonial government about the caves who in turn declared the caves a conservation area in 1922.
In 1963, the then government of Tanganyika handed over the caves to the Department of Antiquities.
The cave attracts tourist as well as students for their geography lessons. The attractions include:
- "Amboni Caves: Where fertility 'god' and 'goddess' reside". The Citizen. 4 January 2015. Retrieved 4 January 2015.