Altötting (German pronunciation: [altˈˀœtɪŋ] (
Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 48°13′36″N 12°40′42″E|
|Subdivisions||40 official subdivisions|
|• Mayor||Herbert Hofauer (FW)|
|• Total||23.43 km2 (9.05 sq mi)|
|Elevation||403 m (1,322 ft)|
|• Density||550/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
During the Carolingian period, there was a royal palace here. Nearby, King Carloman erected a Benedictine monastery in 876, with Werinolf as first abbot, and also built the abbey church in honour of the Apostle St. Philip. In 907 King Louis the Child gave the abbey in commendam to Burchard, the Bishop of Passau (903-915), (probably identical with Burchard, second and last abbot). In 910 the Hungarians ransacked and burnt the church and abbey.
In 1228 Duke Louis I of Bavaria rebuilt these buildings and, after they were sanctified, placed them in charge of twelve Canons Regular, headed by a provost. The canons remained until the secularization of the Bavarian monasteries in 1803.
This small town is famous for the Gnadenkapelle (Chapel of Grace), one of the most-visited shrines in Germany. This is a tiny octagonal chapel which keeps a venerated statue of the Virgin Mary. According to the legend, in 1489, a 3-year-old local boy who had drowned in the river was revived when his grieving mother placed him in front of a wooden statue of the Virgin Mary at the high altar. News of the miracle quickly spread, and the chapel was immediately extended by the erection of a nave and a covered walkway.
In the Treasure Vault of the Holy Chapel of Altötting is the Golden Horse, or "Goldenes Rössli", a 62 cm-high altarpiece made of gold and gilded silver, with golden figures coated with different coloured enamel. It depicts the Virgin Mary with the Christ Child, and, as children, John the Baptist, John the evangelist and St. Catherine. In the foreground is King Charles VI of France. This masterpiece of the goldsmith's craft was a gift from Isabeau, Queen of France, a member of the Wittelsbach Bavarian royal family.
The tradition of Bavaria calls for the heart of the deceased king to be placed in an urn and kept at the chapel at Altötting. The heart of King Ludwig II of Bavaria, the builder of Neuschwanstein castle, lies in this chapel, along with those of his grandfathers and father.
Other architectural highlights in the town are the twin-towered Stiftskirche, a late Gothic church erected in the early years of the 16th century in order to cater for the growing affluence of pilgrims, and the huge Neo-baroque Basilika, built at the beginning of the 20th century.
Sons and daughters of the town
In this list are the 'personalities with respect to the city Altötting' listed.
- Louis the Child (893-911), East Frankish King
- Siegmund von Pranckh (1821-1888), Bavarian General and Minister of War
- Weiß Ferdl (1883-1949), folk singer and actor
- Paul Augustin Mayer (1911-2010), cardinal
- Andreas Altmann (born 1949), author and journalist
- Hans-Christian Schmid (born 1965), film director and screenwriter
- Andreas Hykade (born 1968), animation director
- Werner Riess (born 1970), historian
- Timo Nagy (born 1983), football player
- Christoph Ullmann (born 1983), hockey player
- Thomas Kurz (born 1988), football player
- Maximilian Thiel (born 1993), football player
- Richard Neudecker (born 1996), football player
Personalities active locally
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). July 2019.
- Wikisource:Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Oettingen
- "Altötting". www.altoetting.de. Retrieved 2009-10-10.
- "The Treasure Vault of the Holy Chapel". Stadt Altötting. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Association of Towns awarded The Europe Prize". czestochowa.um.gov.pl. Retrieved 2009-10-10.
Media related to Altötting at Wikimedia Commons Altötting travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Official Tourist information (in German and English)
- Altötting - New Pictures Altötting (in German)