Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers
The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) is a trade association based in Sherman Oaks, California that represents over 350 American television and film production companies in collective bargaining negotiations with entertainment industry trade unions that include, among others, SAG-AFTRA, the Directors Guild of America, the Writers Guild of America, West, the Writers Guild of America, East, the American Federation of Musicians, and the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees.
|Industry||Entertainment (Film & Television Production)|
|Predecessor||Association of Motion Picture Producers|
|Carol Lombardini (President)|
As the entertainment industry's official collective bargaining representative, the AMPTP, like the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), is a key trade association for major film and television producers in the United States. The AMPTP currently negotiates 80 industry-wide collective bargaining agreements on behalf of over 350 motion picture and television producers. AMPTP member companies include the major motion picture studios (including Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, Universal Pictures, Walt Disney Studios and Warner Bros. Pictures), the principal broadcast television networks (including ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC), certain cable television networks, and other independent film and television production companies.
The AMPTP was founded in 1924 as the Association of Motion Picture Producers, or AMPP. According to The Film Encyclopedia, "it was renamed the Association of Motion Picture and Television Producers in 1964 to reflect its merger with the Alliance of Television Film Producers. In 1975, two members of the Association, Paramount and Universal, left to form a new organization, the Alliance. In 1982, the Alliance and AMPTP. merged to form the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers."
Nick Counter (March 21, 1940 - November 6, 2009) was president of the AMPTP from 1982 until March 2009.
- "Association of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) Records". Margaret Herrick Library. Retrieved 5 December 2019.
- "A Guide to Hollywood Unions". FilmmakerIQ.com. 3 September 2012. Retrieved 5 December 2019.
- Bognar, Desi K. (1999). International Dictionary of Broadcasting and Film. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 1136054014. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Katz, Ephraim; Nolen, Ronald Dean (2013). The Film Encyclopedia (7th ed.). Harper Collins. ISBN 0062277111. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Nick Counter dies at 69; former chief negotiator for major studios". Los Angeles Times (Obituary). 7 November 2009. Retrieved 5 December 2019.
- "70 Years of Milestones". Directors Guild of America. Retrieved 5 December 2019.
- Natale, Richard; Natale, Richard (15 March 1993). "Lew Wasserman at 80". Variety. Retrieved 5 December 2019.
- "The Movie Mystique: Moguls to Munchies". The Washington Post. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- Liberatore, Paul (11 July 2014). "Retired CBS president Richard Jencks of Mill Valley dies at 93". Marin Independent Journal. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- Fuster, Jeremy (25 March 2019). "AMPTP Declines WGA Request to Add Anti-Packaging Fee Clause to Contract". TheWrap. Retrieved 5 December 2019.
- "Carol Lombardini". Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. Retrieved 5 December 2019.
- Official website
- Association of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) records, Margaret Herrick Library, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- The Motion Picture Production Code of 1930