Alice Smith School
Alice Smith School is an international school in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia founded in 1946. The school is a not-for-profit educational institution situated on two campuses. The Primary Campus is at Jalan Bellamy in Kuala Lumpur and the Secondary Campus on Jalan Equine in Seri Kembangan, Selangor.
|Alice Smith School|
|Principal||Sarah Howling (Secondary)|
Tom Verity (Primary)
|Age||3 to 18|
|Enrollment||Approximately 1,600 students|
|Colour(s)||White and dark green|
|Accreditation||FOBISIA, EARCOS, COBIS, CIS|
The Alice Smith School follows the English National Curriculum with a strong international flavour. In 2011, the school was one of the first in Asia to be fully accredited as a British School Overseas by the Department for Education in London. 'Excellent' was the grade given in the most recent British Schools Overseas report for both the Primary and Secondary School Campuses by Tribal, a DfE approved inspectorate.
Its three-year rolling average for A Level A*-B results is 75% and the school's value-add score for academic attainment puts it in the top 6% tier of schools worldwide and top 44% of UK Independent Schools. At IGCSE level, the three-year rolling average of A*-A is 63%.
The school's admissions policy is broadly non-selective. Priority for admissions is given to students of the founding trustee nations – Britain, Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland. These nationalities make up slightly under half of the student population. The school has around one-third Malaysians and 49 other nationalities represented.
The Alice Smith School started in 1946 as a stop-gap home school in Kuala Lumpur. At that stage, the expatriate schools in the cooler highlands that had been operating in Malaya before the Second World War had not yet re-opened. In 1975, Patricia Lee, former headmistress of the school from 1964 to 1989, described the motivation behind the school's inception:
People's ideas about living in the tropics began to change as the war had shown them that they had more resistance to the heat than they had imagined and they began to feel it was no longer imperative to send children back to temperate climates at a very early age. One person who held this view was Alice Fairfield Smith, whose husband Hugh was the Statistician at the Rubber Research Institute. In 1946, she decided to keep her daughter Lindsay with her and to teach the child herself. When three months later, there were enough children for two classes, Mrs. Smith realised that this was not going to be the temporary project she imagined, and the Eaton Road School was registered with the Department of Education.
The school was initially located in Mrs. Smith's home on Eaton Road until the classrooms began to encroach upon the dining room, and Hugh Smith decided to take over a larger house and surrender the entire ground floor to the school. Even this space proved insufficient, and by 1949 the school had moved to the Masonic Hall in Damansara Road, an event recorded by the Straits Times in its series entitled "The Passing Scene." Numbers grew to 70, and fees were $60 a term. Classes were taught by qualified teachers who were supported by a group of volunteer mothers. Mrs Smith never gave herself a salary, and her staff were not paid for school holidays. It is recorded that she said "We do not want to make a profit," and though other things have changed, this principle is as true today as it was then.
In 1949, Mrs. Smith informed a saddened group of parents that she would be leaving Malaya the following year, and she put forward a suggestion that some suitable arrangements should be worked out by parents so that the school could continue. Parents were anxious to take over the responsibility for the administration of the school, and they decided to form an Association that would place the responsibility for the administration of the school in the hands of a Council of Governors. The school was renamed the Alice Smith School, and the new headmistress was Mrs Anne Lilley, who had founded her own school in Penang.
In the early months of 1950, Mrs. Smith finally left Malaya. When she returned for a visit in 1960, the Malay Mail described her as a "highly impressed but slightly bewildered visitor" who, with undisguised astonishment, surveyed the school she had started with two pupils, a blackboard, and a box of chalk. In her absence, the school had moved to a new location on Bellamy Road, about two years after she left. The new location consisted of a hall and two wings, known today as the North and West wings. At the time of Mrs Smith's visit, the school had approximately 250 pupils, and Mrs. Smith could hardly associate the busy establishment of 1960 with what she described as "the itinerant caravan of 10 years ago."
Mrs. Lilley was succeeded by Mrs. Doris Muir, who was then followed by Mrs. G. Whitmore and then Miss Denise Fleming. In this time span, two more blocks were added to the original school, along with the building that presently houses the kindergarten and the East Wing. Following this expansion, the Nursery was brought back from St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church Hall where it had been located but was subsequently disbanded when there was pressure for places for school age children.
In the mid-1960s, under the leadership of headmistress Ms. Patricia Lee, the school had the South Wing erected, which consisted of six classrooms, shortly followed by the library and the practical math room. A discussion also began about increasing the age of students allowed at the school, and around 1968, the Council of Governors, ever responsive to the needs of the children, decided to go ahead with the opening of the school for an older group of students. The Preparatory Building for older students was opened in January 1971. This step was taken with a certain amount of apprehension but with the knowledge that if the project failed, the classrooms could still be used for a lower age level. However, by the end of the year, more classes were being added to the Department.
Since 1950, the school has been administered by a Council of Governors made up of parents and friends of the school. This has always been voluntary work.
In the mid-1990s, there was much discussion about opening classes all the way up to Advanced Level examinations, traditionally taken by students at 18 years of age. However, there was not enough space at the current site to expand, so the school had to locate a new greenfield site, south of the city on the multimedia development corridor to Putrajaya. Funds were raised and on 11 September 1997, the secondary campus opened at Jalan Equine in Equine Park. Prince Edward, the youngest son of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, officially opened the campus on Friday, 12 September 1998 by unveiling a plaque in the school assembly hall.
- Alice Smith 1946–1949
- Anne Lilley 1949–1951
- Doris Muir 1951–1959
- Mrs. E. Whitmore 1959–1961
- Mrs. D. Fleming 1961–1964
- Patricia Lee 1964–1989
- Joe Eales 1989–1992
- Sue de Bohun 1992–1997
- Antony Richards 1997–1999
- Steve Caulfield 1999–2011
- Kate Fuller 2011–2016
- Tom Verity 2016–present
- Andrew Homden 1996–2000
- Stephen Murray 2000–2003
- Nikolas Bishop 2003–2007
- Richard Dyer 2007–2009
- Valerie Thomas-Peter 2009–2010
- Roger Schultz 2010–2014
- Sarah Howling 2014–present
There have been two Directors of School who have overseen both campuses:
- Andrew Homden 1996–2002
- Valerie Thomas-Peter 2008–2014
The current Head of School for both campuses is Roger Schultz, 2014–Present.
The school operates at two sites: the Primary Campus is in a wooded area adjacent to the old Istana Negara (Royal Palace) on Jalan Bellamy. This is close to the centre of Kuala Lumpur. The facilities at the Primary Campus include interactive whiteboards throughout, a virtual learning platform, three libraries, a hall, a double-storey gym, swimming pool, computer suites (PC & Mac), a performing arts centre, a sports field, sets of adventure play equipment and three play grounds. The latest addition is the Jubilee Centre for parents and dedicated dining hall for students which was awarded GOLD at the Malaysian Architecture Malaysia (PAM) Awards 2015. The Jubilee Centre was opened by the Duke of York, Prince Andrew.
The Secondary Campus students, staff and parents were very excited with the opening of the Seri Kembangan Interchange on the KM16.5 of Kuala Lumpur-Putrajaya Highway (MEX) in December 2015. With the MEX highway link, travelling time between the Primary and Secondary campuses and from KL city to the Secondary Campus at Equine Park has reduced significantly to approximately 20 minutes. This makes the school’s wonderful facilities at the Secondary Campus more readily accessible. The site includes a swimming pool, indoor sports hall, rugby and football pitches, an outdoor basketball court and four tennis courts. The school uses the virtual learning platform, further amplified through the widespread use of interactive whiteboards. The performing arts centre includes two theatre halls, six practice rooms and a recording studio. The expanded art space has been the site of exhibitions, recently expanded to allow exploration of other artistic mediums such as Digital Photography. The school boasts Business, Media & Technology as well as Science centres.
The entire backfield at the Secondary Campus was recently re-developed to include a world class 8-lane synthetic athletics track which conforms to the standard of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), a natural turf football field, a 5-a side hockey field and a versatile multi-sport playing area. Alice Smith School is the first international school in Malaysia and the third in the world to receive the reputable IAAF certification.
This terrific development of new sports infrastructure will support and enhance further expansion of the sports programmes offered throughout both campuses of the school.
The school is an educational establishment in Kuala Lumpur. The fees shown below are Tuition Fees per term (RM), excluding the building fee and parental deposit.
- Pre-school 12,210 (An additional fee of RM3,790 per term will be levied on the Pre-School Extended Day programme).
- Reception 16,780
- Year 1 18,430
- Year 2 18,430
- Year 3 18,960
- Year 4 18,960
- Year 5 18,960
- Year 6 18,960
- Year 7 23,740
- Year 8 23,740
- Year 9 23,740
- Year 10 27,450
- Year 11 27,450
- Year 12 28,500
- Year 13 28,500
The school is a member of the Federation of British International Schools in Asia (FOBISIA), the East Asia Regional Council of Schools (EARCOS), South East Asia Student Activity Conference (SEASAC), Independent Schools Council (ISC), Council of International Schools (CIS), Council of British International Schools (COBIS), The Independent Association of Prep Schools (IAPS) and ISAC (International Schools Athletics Conference).
4 houses are represented at The Alice Smith School; Fleming is red, Scott is green, Muir is yellow and Fairfield is blue.
- "Home." Alice Smith School. Retrieved on 3 May 2018. " The Alice Smith School Primary Campus 2 Jalan Bellamy, 50460 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia" and "The Alice Smith School Secondary Campus 3 Jalan Equine, Taman Equine, 43300 Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia."
- Report of the Council of Governors at the 25th Annual General Meeting of the Alice Smith Schools Association, 31 March 1975
- The Alice Smith Schools Association Circular to Parents, February 1951
- The Alice Smith Schools Association List of Parent Members 14 November 1950
- Straits Times newspaper "The Passing Scene" 1949
- Malay Mail newspaper, 12 August 1960
- Alice Smith Schools Association AGM documentation
- Alice Smith School Association Annual General Meeting November 1951
- Malaysian Companies Registrar
- "Primary". www.alice-smith.edu.my. Archived from the original on 29 November 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Secondary". www.alice-smith.edu.my. Archived from the original on 6 December 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Fees". www.alice-smith.edu.my. Archived from the original on 27 November 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2012.