Alexander Soifer, October, 2007, Colorado
August 14, 1948
|Alma mater||Moscow State Pedagogical University|
|Doctoral advisor||Leonid Kulikov; Paul Erdős|
Soifer obtained his Ph.D. in 1973 and has been a professor of mathematics at the University of Colorado since 1979. He was visiting fellow at Princeton University from 2002 to 2004, and again in 2006–2007. Soifer also teaches courses on art history and European cinema. His publications include 13 books and over 400 articles.
Every spring, Soifer, along with other mathematician colleagues, sponsors the Colorado Mathematical Olympiad (CMO) at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. Soifer compiles and writes most of the problems for the contest. The CMO was founded by Soifer on April 18, 1983.
For the Olympiad’s 30th anniversary, the university produced a film about it. In May 2018, in recognition of 35 years of leadership, the judges and winners decided in 2018 to rename the Colorado Mathematical Olympiad to the Soifer Mathematical Olympiad.
In 1991 Soifer founded the research quarterly Geombinatorics, and publishes it with the editorial board.
Soifer is currently the President of the World Federation of National Mathematics Competitions. His Erdős number is 1.
- The Scholar and the State: In Search of Van der Waerden Springer, New York, 2015 (publisher: Birkhauser-Springer, Basel)
- Mathematics as Problem Solving Center for Excellence in Mathematical Education, Colorado Springs, 1987
- How does one cut a triangle? Center for Excellence in Mathematical Education, Colorado Springs, 1990
- Colorado Mathematical Olympiad: The First Ten Years and Further Explorations Center for Excellence in Mathematical Education, Colorado Springs, 1991
- Geometric Etudes in Combinatorial Mathematics Center for Excellence in Mathematical Education, Colorado Springs, 1994
- The Mathematical Coloring Book Springer, New York 2009: The Mathematical Coloring Book: Mathematics of Coloring and the Colorful Life of Its Creators, has been in the works for 18 years.
- Mathematics as Problem Solving 2nd ed. Springer, New York 2009
- How Does One Cut a Triangle? 2nd ed. Springer, New York 2009
- The Colorado Mathematical Olympiad and Further Explorations: From the Mountains of Colorado to the Peaks of Mathematics Springer, New York 2011
- The Colorado Mathematical Olympiad; The Third Decade and Further Explorations: From the Mountains of Colorado to the Peaks of Mathematics Springer, New York 2017
- Geometric Etudes in Combinatorial Mathematics 2nd ed. Springer, New York 2010
- Ramsey Theory: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow Birkhäuser-Springer 2011
- Life and Fate: In Search of Van der Waerden, appeared in November 2008 in Russian. This book is the report of a 20-year historical investigation into the life of the 20th-century algebraist Bartel Leendert van der Waerden, the author of Modern Algebra. The expanded English edition, The Scholar and the State: In Search of Van der Waerden, was published by Birkhäuser-Springer in 2017.
Geombinatorics is a quarterly scientific journal of mathematics. It was established by editor-in-chief Alexander Soifer in 1991 and is published by the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. The journal covers problems in discrete, convex, and combinatorial geometry, as well as related areas. The journal is indexed in Zentralblatt MATH, Excellence Research Australia, and MathSciNet.