Alex Browne (Australian footballer)
Alex Browne (born 9 August 1992) is a former professional Australian rules footballer who played for the Essendon Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). Browne played for the Oakleigh Chargers in the TAC Cup. He was drafted by Essendon with pick 48 in the 2010 national draft and made his debut against Melbourne at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in round 11 of the 2011 AFL season. He was delisted in October 2015.
|Full name||Alex Browne|
|Date of birth||9 August 1992|
|Original team(s)||Oakleigh Chargers (TAC Cup)/Xavier College|
|Draft||No. 48, 2010 National Draft|
|Height||187 cm (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||85 kg (187 lb)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2015.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Browne, along with 33 other Essendon players, was found guilty of using a banned performance-enhancing substance, thymosin beta-4, as part of Essendon's sports supplements program during the 2012 season. He and his teammates were initially found not guilty in March 2015 by the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal, but a guilty verdict was returned in January 2016 after an appeal by the World Anti-Doping Agency. He was suspended for two years which, with backdating, ended in November 2016; as a result, he served approximately fourteen months of his suspension.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- "List Changes". EssendonFC.com.au. Bigpond. 27 October 2015. Retrieved 27 October 2015.
- "Family allegiance in Alex Browne's household not a Don deal". news.com.au. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- Twomey, Callum (31 March 2015). "Thirty-four present and former Bombers cleared of all drug charges". AFL.com.au.
- Travis King (12 January 2016). "Guilty: court bans the Essendon 34 for 2016". Australian Football League. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- Tim Michell (5 December 2016). "Northern Blues recruit Alex Browne reveals toll of Essendon supplements program on players". Herald Sun. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- Alex Browne's player profile at AFL Tables
- Alex Browne's playing statistics from AFL Tables